• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blazin carpet by muffler on 95.

Here's the latest, my local stealership has a part number for muffler heat shield for a '97+. I went to order it but forgot my wallet On my way home I stopped at a used car lot and looked under an '00 XJ. Sure enough, there was a heat shield above the muffler attached to the unibody, but none over the cat.

langer1 said:
My 87 is getting 21/23 16/18 is way low.

Thats not too low. Getting 21/23 actually sounds high to me, I wish I had your Jeep. It depends on the climate your in too though. I'm getting somewhere around 15/18 around here and everyone I've ever asked has been getting about the same. Also, everyone has a different driving style, that can make a big difference.

smccollamjr said:
Here's the latest, my local stealership has a part number for muffler heat shield for a '97+. I went to order it but forgot my wallet On my way home I stopped at a used car lot and looked under an '00 XJ. Sure enough, there was a heat shield above the muffler attached to the unibody, but none over the cat.
It's there just in case of a problem like yours. It is a good thing to add if you don't have one.
But when everything's working like it should you don't need it.

I think we need to get back to what Langer is saying, THIS IS NOT NORMAL. Adding insulation will help the symptom, not the problem.
I had a MAP sensor issue not to long ago, the floor under my cat and muffler would get so hot that carpet would steam and the heat in those areas was brutal.
I could have added insulation and alleviated the symptom, but the problem was still there, not until I corrected the MAP issue did problem go away.
Adding insulation after the prob. is fixed is OK and may even help cut down on some of the floor pan rust.

on my 93 the heat caused it to rust out and then burn a hole in the carpet. then again it was rearended and the exhaust got bent so the muffler was touching the floorboard. now i run a cherrybomb and the floor barely gets warm.

Back