• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Black "poop" Pipe Cage

AZTurtle03 said:
MY XJ ADDICTION... I would be willing to bet that you couldn't bend 1.25" SCH40 pipe over your knee. Unless you are like Lee Priest or someone of that sort.

Turtle

Haven't tried it... I'll try tomorrow and send ya the hospital bill *LMAO*

BrettM said:
now that is some ghetto-ass chinese pipe :shocked:

I used 1" sched. 40 for my "tube bed" and it's dragged on a number of rocks with no denting or bending, just some scuffing. of course I'm using good pipe...
When I plumb in a sprinkler system and put the water in it you can watch it flex in the hangers...*L* Oh well cheaper pipe=more profit for the company...

Then if it's essential the same with different dimensions and no certification for strenght, why are the benders different? I know on a serial draw like a 105/JD2, they have different dies for pipe, but I'm assuming it's because they specify it from the ID and it doesn't match tube exactly. So that begs the question about the cheapo HF style benders. I would guess that you'd get equally crappy bends from similarly sized tube and pipe.

TrailHunter said:
Then if it's essential the same with different dimensions and no certification for strenght, why are the benders different? I know on a serial draw like a 105/JD2, they have different dies for pipe, but I'm assuming it's because they specify it from the ID and it doesn't match tube exactly. So that begs the question about the cheapo HF style benders. I would guess that you'd get equally crappy bends from similarly sized tube and pipe.
as you said, you can get pipe dies for the good benders. you can also get decent bends out of a HF bender, but it takes a bit more work; you may need to pack the pipe with sand or gravel before bending, you may not be able to get as much angle on the bend as you like, the thinner the pipe the more the HF type crushes it so you may have to use heavier pipe than you like... etc

IMO
somethin is better than nothin
BUT
if you have ever used a mechanical bender you would understand what kind of work it takes to bend a cage , let alone notching and welding. It just makes sense to use the best quality material yoiu can afford..

I myself plan on using DOM on the portion of cage that surrounds the area of the passangers in the vehicle and HREW for the rest of the cage..

It's been my experience in building construction use of piping, that the bends are the weak point. Second is the area next to the welds, which has rings of different grain structure and hardness.
Design pays a large part of the process. Some crush makes sense. A totally rigid construction, would likely want to separate at the anchors.
I wonder why nobody has experimented with a fiber foam filling for the pipes and tubing after construction. Which would be lightweight, add to rigidity and likely help prevent kinking.
Gussets (even ribs) and fill, would probably double the unit strength, with little weight penalty.
My brother ran into a boulder at 80 MPH, with his buggy, the frame and cage was made of black steam pipe, the construction used a lot of triangulation and had few bends. The front axle ended up under the drivers seat, cage intergity held.
Bends look pretty, triangles are stronger.

ROBERTK said:
FYI 4130 chromo can be had in so cali for only 4.55 per foot in a 1.75 x .120 wall! AND DOM 1020 for only 3.10 per foot both price includes Delivery! hell in 1.5 x .120 is under 3$ per foot!

Pony up the extra posket change and find a friend with a bender if you must! Daym what is like 40$ extra for tubing!?

Where, in southern Cal, can you buy the above mentioned chromo and DOM for the prices quoted? Delivered? I want some.

I get my tubing, pipe, flat steel and whatever at two places cheap. I go to a wholesaler, that also sells, cut to length pieces and pick through there left overs. I pay by the pound, irregardless of the shape of the steel.
And I have a buddy, that loads rail cars with scrap steel. He sells me likely pieces for the cost of the scrap, plus a small handling fee. About 10% of the scrap, is serviceable and useful stuff.
The prices are typically 1/4 to 1/2 of the book cost. If you do medium to small projects, it really pays off in the long run.

i concurr with the scrap thing. it's perfectly fine to use scrap in a cage, if you use common sense. (no main hoops from used heater pipe, etc) braces and special brackets can be made a lot easier and cheaper. scrap where i live used to cost less than 20 cents a pound. problem is though, the way the price of steel has been going up, now it's above 30. but it's still a lot cheaper than new.

xjbubba said:
Where, in southern Cal, can you buy the above mentioned chromo and DOM for the prices quoted? Delivered? I want some.

Look up EMJ in lynwood CA. or Tubular Steel Inc (909) 429-6900. just bought 290ft at 3.30per ft for 1.75X.120 DOM delivered

Just for the record when Poison Sider Customs were Avalanche Engineering the "Assasin" buggy was moade out HREW. I don't remember the tube diameter or wall thickness but it was in a 4 wheel mag that was comparing the different buggies offered at the time.

In any case if the design is correct you can use something other than DOM or Chro-mo. I have used the SCH40 pipe in bumpers and so forth and even bent it with a HF bender, a couple rearendings later and it was just fine.

I think the key is more quality design.

Ludakris said:
I think if you fill it full of concrete it really adds strength.. I have seen mailbox posts and basket ball hoop poles like this.. very strong...
:D :D :D is there ANYTHING that you can't use to build an xj? serously, though, that would make that cage like over twice as heavy.

xuv-this said:
:D :D :D is there ANYTHING that you can't use to build an xj? serously, though, that would make that cage like over twice as heavy.

Well what about sch 80 (sch40HD) and filling it with helium!!!? :) That would offset the weight right?

ROBERTK said:
Well what about sch 80 (sch40HD) and filling it with helium!!!? :) That would offset the weight right?
better yet, hydrogen!

hindenburg-1937.jpg

BrettM said:
better yet, hydrogen!

hindenburg-1937.jpg

What are you stup-id or someding? It would be to lite and not get any traction then! Duh..:lecture:

Back