• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein 5150 Shocks, Soft or Firm Ride?

_R700_

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I've got a 97 (post update) XJ and have an opportunity to get some 5150's (front and rear) 2nd hand.

Just wondering are they softer or firmer than stock shocks (that are in good condition) and by how much roughly? Initially I will be running them with the stock springs (with BB) until I upgrade them as well down the track.

Currently my XJ (on stock susp with BB) rides a littler firmer than my WJ with stiffer springs and MX6's on their firmest setting...? And I have to admit I like the firmer ride, that's it why I'm asking.

Thanks!!

Definitely worth the upgrade.

I forget which valving I ended up purchasing, but I know it was the firmer of the few, and after about a year and a half it feels perfect. A little on the soft side but a nice thick swaybar helps keep the ride absolutely perfect.

For several years I had a set in the Jeep and with Rubicon Express 4.5" coils and leaf springs the suspension was soft on the highway, on the trail it was fine most of the time, but in the desert where there are washboard roads and little burms it was terrible.
I upgraded the front springs to ZJ coils and new rear leafs along with Rancho 9000X shocks and now on the road it is a bit stiff, on the trail it is good and on desert trails the ride is good....

It depends upon what kind of terrain you will be driving most of the time....

get them in 255/70 valving. trust

I find the 255/70 valving to be too soft for my XJ's front end.
They would probably be fine if the winch and front bumper were removed.
Wish they were available in a firmer edition.
They are good for driving on California's disintegrating freeways but too soft for going fast in the dirt.

I find the 255/70 valving to be too soft for my XJ's front end.
They would probably be fine if the winch and front bumper were removed.
Wish they were available in a firmer edition.
They are good for driving on California's disintegrating freeways but too soft for going fast in the dirt.

they are too soft for a heavy frontend or a xj that sees airtime but they are the best you can get in a 5150 lol.

Thanks for all your responses so far.

The 5150's are the 255/70 valving, the firmer of the 2 i beleive. Until I saw these shocks for sale I was pretty keen on a set of new Rancho 9000's with the adjustablity being the biggest drawcard for me.

I understadn that the 5150's are a premium shock and if I can get them cheap then that would be sweet, but I guess I'm trying to work out if I'll regret it later cos they're too soft for my liking...

My XJ only gets driven on weekends, but its primary use it for long trips for camping and light wheeling, I just like to get to those remote places that the normal people in cars can't get to for fishing etc. In Australia a lot of our outback roads are unmaintained gravel roads and therefore they become very corrugated (I think you guys call them 'washboard' roads), so I want the XJ to be as fast as possible and controllable on these surfaces.

I have some short BE5-6140-T5s(5125s) on the front that are 360/240 and they are a bit stiff(dunno if they make any 5150s with that valving).

In Australia a lot of our outback roads are unmaintained gravel roads and therefore they become very corrugated (I think you guys call them 'washboard' roads), so I want the XJ to be as fast as possible and controllable on these surfaces.
As long as you do not have a front winch and bumper, the 255/70 valving should be fine. As I mentioned before, they work well on our busted up roads and on relatively flat corrugated, washboard (whatever you want to call them) roads.
With the extra weight on the front of my XJ, whoop dee doos keep my speeds down much lower than before.

Hmmm, Bilstein 7100s. with 275/78 or 360/80 valving, are looking better each day.

As long as you do not have a front winch and bumper, the 255/70 valving should be fine. As I mentioned before, they work well on our busted up roads and on relatively flat corrugated, washboard (whatever you want to call them) roads.
With the extra weight on the front of my XJ, whoop dee doos keep my speeds down much lower than before.

Hmmm, Bilstein 7100s. with 275/78 or 360/80 valving, are looking better each day.
If you go 7100s for stiffer valving, skip the 278 and go 360/80. Mine's a bit stiff over sharp bumps, but awesome in the desert.

Back