• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein 5150 Shock Stem Adapter

I run something like that on my 5150s. I think I got the "warrior products" version at 4wheel parts. I was in a hurry, heh.

An 1.75" is not a lot in some cases, and a lot in others. Or so I'm told.
That's what she said.

All joking aside, the top stem in a 5150 is 12M x 1M. I made my own eye eliminator kit with a small package of 12M x 1M nuts and some 3/8" x 2 bolts from McMaster.com. Had a set of stem style shock bushings and discs laying around and welded up the 12M nuts to the 3/8" bolts and well the rest is self explaining.

I also replaced the bottom "pin" mount with a standard shock axle shock mount from a Ruffstuff axle swap kit. Welded them right over the old spot. This is with a 12" 5150 and 5.5" RE ZJ coils and I'll unseat the coil when flexed. It's also bump stopped for 4" of up travel.

I'm going with the JKS style adapters. JKS actually offers one specifically for XJ's that have a 10deg "offset" to account for the non-level surface at the stem mount. 10deg seems excessive. Other mfgr's adapters don't have this offset. Is this really necessary?
aac87d.jpg

12" travel. 19" compressed/31" extended.

I'm going with the JKS style adapters. JKS actually offers one specifically for XJ's that have a 10deg "offset" to account for the non-level surface at the stem mount. 10deg seems excessive. Other mfgr's adapters don't have this offset. Is this really necessary?
aac87d.jpg

How necessary is it for you to give your money to JKS? I've been running mine home built versions for 5 years without issue.

Right now...pretty necessary. Normally I'd fab my own but I have more important chit to do with my time. Too much going on at the moment, bigger fish to fry, blah, blah. Right now it's worth it to me to pay the 50 bucks and have them magically appear in my mail box.

why not go coilovers to match the rear? i know they're expensive, but it didnt seem like you were too worried about that given the rest of the build :D

That thought only lasted one millisecond. Trying not to slide too much further down that slippery slope.

Last edited:
Only pic I have of the Poly pieces. They are actually long enough so that i could have drilled another hole higher up so the shock eye didn't get spaced down so far.

IMG_1386.jpg

And the lower shock mount relocated as well because I couldn't use the bar pin crap anymore, plus it lowered the bottom mount about the same as the top.

IMG_1387.jpg

Im working on picking up parts for a mild lift for my dd.
98 classic, 5spd, 231, d30, 8.25.

Going with a bastard rear with spacers front, looking to be around 2-2.5" over stock...

Picked up a pair of 5150, F4-BF5-A195-H1, 8.5" 255/70.

Question is regarding the use of the stem kit on these shocks. Seems like some have done it... some advise against. I was planning on getting 5100's all around but I ended up picking these up off of a roller that had never left the garage for about 70$ a piece.

what does the board say?

Back