• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bill to require warrant for cell phone GPS tracking

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
The Geolocational Privacy and Surveillance Act (H.R. 1312), introduced in the House by Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah) and in the Senate by lawmakers Ron Wyden (D-Oregon) and Mark Kirk (R-Illinois), has gained wide support from the American Civil Liberties Union and the Electronic Frontier Foundation, who say the bills are very strong and, if passed, would finally bring legislation up to date with the invasive use of new technologies.

“Police routinely get people’s location information with little judicial oversight because Congress has never defined the appropriate checks and balances,” said Chris Calabrese, legislative counsel in the ACLU’s Washington Legislative Office in a statement. “Under the GPS Act, all that would change. Police would need to convince a judge that a person is likely engaging in criminal activity before accessing and monitoring someone’s location data. Innocent people shouldn’t have to sacrifice their privacy in order to have a cellphone.”

The bills contain some exceptions for national security cases and emergency circumstances, and would also allow parents to use tracking with children.

The bills are aimed at closing loopholes left last year by a Supreme Court decision in U.S. v. Jones, which ruled that attaching a GPS device to a vehicle constituted a search under the Fourth Amendment. The decision stopped short of requiring agents to obtain a warrant for GPS devices, however, and also bypassed the issue of whether warrants should be required to obtain geolocation information collected by service providers from smartphones and car-tracking systems like OnStar.

“Although Jones was a step in the right direction, the Department of Justice is still arguing in court that they do not need a warrant to track someone’s movements using GPS devices or technology. This highlights the need for Congress to step in and provide clear and reasonable guidelines,” said Chaffetz.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/03/warrantless-gps-tracking/

Innocent people shouldn’t have to sacrifice their privacy in order to have a cellphone.

how long before there is a "right" to a cell phone? You don't have to sacrifice anything you're not willing to sacrifice-- phones are a convenience that you choose to have. Don't like the risk? Don't get the phone.

how long before there is a "right" to a cell phone? You don't have to sacrifice anything you're not willing to sacrifice-- phones are a convenience that you choose to have. Don't like the risk? Don't get the phone.

Exactly.

To much tin-foil these days.

All this will do is slow down the process so that way when a real crime or unfortunate event is happening the responders will only be further away.
"Sorry mam, we can't find the man you we know took you child because we have to wait on a warrant."
Or are they deeming that an emergency situation by definition. There is always a loophole.

How, if at all, does this effect E911?

What ever happened to all of the other posts in the Political Discussion Zone? Were they deleted or just moved? There were some interesting threads that I liked to read every now and then, but now they are just all gone?

Some that come to mind were regarding the Chevy Volt and a lot of talks during the election season. Jeff had quite a few posts and threads in here that I remember. What gives?

What ever happened to all of the other posts in the Political Discussion Zone? Were they deleted or just moved? There were some interesting threads that I liked to read every now and then, but now they are just all gone?

Some that come to mind were regarding the Chevy Volt and a lot of talks during the election season. Jeff had quite a few posts and threads in here that I remember. What gives?

Scroll down to display options and pick a time frame for threads.

Scroll down to display options and pick a time frame for threads.

You are so wise. You're like a miniature buddha. :)

That worked. Thanks!

You are so wise. You're like a miniature buddha. :)

That worked. Thanks!

Hey, hey, don't you start talking about my figure, you don't know me well enough. :twak: :laugh3: :moon:

:cheers:

Exactly.

To much tin-foil these days.

All this will do is slow down the process so that way when a real crime or unfortunate event is happening the responders will only be further away.
"Sorry mam, we can't find the man you we know took you child because we have to wait on a warrant."
Or are they deeming that an emergency situation by definition. There is always a loophole.

How, if at all, does this effect E911?

I agree there is quite a bit of tin foil these days, but we are also in a time of substantial change in this country. Laws are being passed without being read and rights are potentially being infringed upon without due consideration to their effects. This sort of thing doesn't happen every day, but is a good example of gov't run amok.

http://news.yahoo.com/kansas-couple-indoor-gardening-prompted-pot-raid-182449463.html

Last edited:
Hey, hey, don't you start talking about my figure, you don't know me well enough. :twak: :laugh3: :moon:

:cheers:

Yup.

If you'd met Hawkeye you'd know that he ain't miniature. :flame:

Your logic is flawed, unless I'm misreading your statement. Study the 4th Amendment.

Show me the law that waives my privacy rights when I choose to use a cell phone.

BTW, the government already thinks that cell phones are a right, I pay for mine, which is also a tool for my job, and everyone who pays for service is also paying a Universal Service fee http://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/phonebills/samplePhonebill.html which funds the free phones that are distributed by the government.

Last edited:
I hope the bill goes through, perhaps they should add automotive black boxes ans such to that bill too.
I seem to have read somewhere that the info in an event data recorder, the automotive "black box, is the property of the vehicle owner.

Which doesn't matter. If they want the data, they'll just take it. As it only records in the event of an accident, the police have all the "probable cause" they need to get a warrant. Oh, and if you're driving a new car, you have an event data recorder in your car. I think it's over 90% of all new cars have them now.

Then there's this(break out the tinfoil)
A nice google search for you

Back