• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Biggest tire with no lift but trimming and back space

LostintheWoods

NAXJA Forum User
So my question is ( and i searched a lot and found little) if i'm willing to trim a lot and get wheels with max back space would i be able to fit 32x11.5's on an unlifted 94 country? I ask becauce i need new tires badly but cant afford a lift and tires. ( I will lift it in a month or so 3.5-4.5 inches)

1) Go to a local shop and buy some used tires until you can afford to pull together the set up you want. 2) Buy some cheap new tires and use them until you pull together the set up you want then sell them. 3) Get retreads and use them until you pull together the set up you want then sell them.

What I'm getting at and maybe others would agree and back me up is that it would be foolhearted to purchase tires for a 3.5-4.5" lift and make them fit on a stock XJ when you will be lifting it in the near future. My suggestion, this is from mistakes I have made on my own, is take your time and wait to do everything together as a system when you have the money to. I think you'll end up happier in the end and you'll end up spending less money in the long run.

Oh, on a stocker I ran 235/75/15 with no rubbing and 30/9.5/15 with slight rubbing on the LCA's.

Last edited:
im runnin 30's with slight rubbing on the front fender flairs

LostintheWoods said:
So my question is ( and i searched a lot and found little) if i'm willing to trim a lot and get wheels with max back space would i be able to fit 32x11.5's on an unlifted 94 country? I ask becauce i need new tires badly but cant afford a lift and tires. ( I will lift it in a month or so 3.5-4.5 inches)

Lost - if you're short on funds I would buy 235's and give yourself some time to save up and do the lift right. Most "complete" lift kits aren't. At 3 + inches you'll likely need an adjustable track bar ($200) and possibly some type of SYE or T-case drop ($50 - $400). You might even want to consider regearing with 32 inch tires. This is also not factoring in the drop in gas mileage with the larger tires.

My advice - keep yourself at 235's on the stock rims, research the shite out of this forum and budget $500+ for the lift. By the way, my 235 Toyo AT's look pretty decent with my 2 1/2" lift.

I had 30" tires that only rubbed on the front suspension on my 88". The jeep looked pretty good, all I really needed to do was put a thin washer in the steering stop to keep it from rubbing.

I bought a 2000 that came with 255/70/16s and they rubbed on the front suspension and on the rear fenders when the jeep was weighted down. This was probably due to the extra width of the tires (actual 10.5" width, 30.5" diam).

Since then I went back to a 29" tire (235/70/16). To be honest, I think the jeep looks better at stock height with that size of tire. Anything much bigger and it looks like you are trying to stuff too big of a tire in that small fender well. The max I'd ever go is 29-30" for stock.

So I kinda suc but i went and got 5 new low end AT's at canadian tire and void grooved them with a soldering iron. 5X 235/75/15 was 300$ can. installed etc. they look pretty hadcore with the extra 2-3 mm between lugs and actually work a lot better than the dunlop mud rovers I had.
Thanks for the tips guys I think you saved me a wak o cash and frustration and my wife is happy we can still afford to eat too!

Why not use Super Swamper 32x9.50's on '86 Dodge 15x6 wheels. If the springs aren't sagging too much, they tuck up under without a lift. What's the need for 11.50 wide tires. You'll do better in mud and snow with narrower tires.

I'm not sure if a '94 would be any different from mine but on an '88 Limited I'm flareless with BFG AT 31" on Ford Explorer 15" x 8" wheels with 4.5" BS.

My front fenders are cut about an inch all the way around (about a quarter inch past the flare mounting holes) and straight across to the bottom of the signal lights.

My rear is cut off up to the flare mounting holes and even through a couple of them (as close as I dared to go to the pinch welds).

The only rubbing I've encountered is when either front tire is turned out and fully stuffed the back of the tire hits the edge of the flat inner fender wall. I'm planning on trimming back to the pinch welds and/or bending that edge in.

Yeah, I know, ford wheels on a Jeep but I kept the center caps with the "Ford" logo off and they definitely look better on the jeep than gold xj limited wheels do on the Ranger. lol. Besides, it's only temporary until I find some AR wagon wheels with 4.5" BS.

just some fender trimmin and 34x10.50s 3.75 back space

lol my buddy in my club has 44's on his blazer with 3 inches of lift

big tires and loooooooowwww cog wins on the rocks

Aaron D said:
just some fender trimmin and 34x10.50s 3.75 back space

lol my buddy in my club has 44's on his blazer with 3 inches of lift

big tires and loooooooowwww cog wins on the rocks

Those tires are only 33" tall at best. Measure them and you will see.

... oh, and I always have to ask ... you are actually disconnecting your sway bars, too?

I see so many people running waaay oversized tires, but there is NO WAY they are disconnecting the sway bars to get the best off-road traction.

34s, no lift and disconnected? I'd love to see a photo, too. Get a good flexy one! I'm not saying it's not possible, but this is a see-it-to-believe-it challenge!
:)

up until today I had 33/12.50s, 15x8" wheels/3.5" backspacing with about negative 1" lift (old stock springs + all my tools & junk)..... my front fenders are cut pretty dramatically and I bashed the wheel wells all flat and tire friendly- in the rear I cut about an inch above the pinch welds all the way around, drilled the welds out to remove the cut off strip and then took the bfh and bashed the excess wheel well lip up to the cut line, did a little trimming and welding.... ~voila~ ghetto tubbed! the fender flares took some imagination to re-attach, but I have never been thought to lack imagination. it didn't cross up nearly as nicely as with the 30/9.50s I had previously (DUH) but articulation in the mud isn't exactly critical

On my 97 - stock susp, typical crappy rear springs - I've got minor rubbing on the rear when loaded with more than a small box of rocks. I'm running wrangler 9" wheels with 30x9.5. It also rubs up front on occasion when turning and compressed susp. 235s work great and never rub. My 30s were on the wheels.

Back