• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bigger tires vs suspension

Dual diaphragm? Is that the contraceptive you and your wife/girlfriend use to prevent having a kid so you can afford to spend money on your Jeep?

Bahahahahaha :roflmao:

no. Dual diaphram brake booster. Gives the brakes a hell of a lot more umph :thumbup:

I would do 4.88's no matter what.

x2. Love my 4.88's on 33"s. It limits my freeway speed a bit, I usually don't top 70. Other than that it's all love.

I have a pretty similar setup, 4.5" on short arms (RE fixed lowers, adjustable uppers). The ride is kinda harsh. On road it doesn't bother me. Off road it's mildly annoying if I hit some washboard or something, I just have to slow down. I actually bought some drop brackets from a part out recently. Then I realized how much work they would be to install and how far down they would hang. Now, thinking about the sorts of trails I do and how unimportant speed is, I'm thinking of just saying screw it. Installing long arms would cost more, but would be the same amount of effort. So I may save my pennies and go that route. Or just live with the bumps. I'd rather get a winch and some newer tires with deeper tread first. That way I'm less likely to get stuck, and more able to get unstuck. I don't really think LAs or DBs would help in either of those respects, and at the end of the day, thats the stuff that gets your jeep out of the woods.

By the way, if you want to do the Rubicon, GO! Don't put it off until you have the perfect rig. The rig you have will be fine. Gather up a couple friends, make sure somebody has a winch, get your recovery gear in order and hit the trail. You will not regret it.

Really Really Really Really Doubt that....

Least for me.

Fwiw I can lock up my tires on my STOCK 30. I run locker, beadlocks, and 35's. Just fine tune and it works fine. (dual diaphram helps a lot)

I keep hearing people (maybe you?) say this. I am also running a stock d30 with recently replaced pads and calipers and a dual dia booster with a pretty new master cyl. I can NOT lock up my 33's and never could. I'd like to know what you are doing differently.

hows the master cylinder? bleed the sytem properly?

fwiw WJ brakes are the bees knees

right now im running a 2000 xj sport with 4" short arms with 33's and like how it wheels. i havent had the need to lock up my 33's but im pretty sure it could.

like in4aride said, learn to wheel a smaller vehicle before you go bigger, i wheeled the crap out of my stocker, then bumped it up to a 2"BB and 235/75 bfg mt's, wheeled it for a while, couldnt pass up the 4" lift i got wheeled it for prolly 2 months with that on 235's while they wore out. then just recently bumped up to 33's. i can say this confidently that bigger tire's makes going over rocks/ruts/trees easier.

i say bigger tire's and body armor. depending on you stock gearing you might be fine where your at i have 3.55's with 33's and i still adverage 12mpg in town and 16-17 freeway. and when i wheel i use 4 low.

I keep hearing people (maybe you?) say this. I am also running a stock d30 with recently replaced pads and calipers and a dual dia booster with a pretty new master cyl. I can NOT lock up my 33's and never could. I'd like to know what you are doing differently.

I have new, but stock replacement, rotors and calipers. I bought good parts not the cheapest thing carquest had. I got good brake pads. I have steel lines all around. I am using brand new fluid. And I bled the shit out of my brakes.

Also. Adjust your rears. Well adjusted rear brakes make all your brakes work better and stronger.

I need to make a video or lockin up the tires so people believe me. Lol. So many parts are capable of a lot just gotta fine tune and treat em right. :thumbup:

In the same predicament here. I've already got gears, lockers, shafts, and armor. I'm running a 4.5" short arm on 32's. I've pretty much driven over everything I possibly can with this setup and my CA bushings are wearing out bigtime and I hate the short arms. Don't know if I should go to 35's first or longarms first. The longarm kit I want is going to reduce my ground clearance, so I'd like to do both at the same time, but I don't think I can afford it now.

I can lock up my 33's on my stock 2000 no problem.

Whether you can lock up 33s on stock brakes or not depends on many factors... I can lock em up no problem with bald tires on black ice, for instance. Heck I could probably lock up 38s with stock brakes under those conditions. I can still lock up brand new 33" ATs on dry pavement, but it's not quite as easy!

hahahaha kastein thats a good point...im refering to normal CO conditions (mid 80's dry and decent roads not sandy or anything) and runnin my 35" MT/R's @ 32 psi...

Back