• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"bigger" coil for XJ

I know that 4wd.com has a hi-po one and quadratec.com has the same one. not msd or accel but it think it looks worthy.

Waste of money.

The XJ ignition (even the Renix) is already a high output. An expensive after-market coil won't do anything for you. Just buy a new set of Magne-Core or Mopar Performance spark plug wires and call it a day.

The one I have is going bad, thought I would look into an aftermarket. Doesn't look like anyone makes one though. Every other car I have had did show better performance with a better coil, figured the jeep would be no different.

thanks!

Not so per one of the mags.... They did an extensive test with bifferent coils and ignitions. Of all the ones they dinod the stock coil and ignition put out more than all the aftermarkets except one. And for the life of me I cannot remember which one. It was not one of the big ignition company's either. It was a big surprise to me. And it was no great gain. like maybe 1-2 hp. A waste of $$$$ IMHO!

On the topic of plug wires, be careful of the type you install. I made the mistake of installing a set of solid core Acell wires that was laying around the garage. When the engine reved to 2000 rpm, there was the worse case of misfiring I'd ever seen. The solid cores were transferring spark feedback to the ignition module. I installed a resistor wire between the coil and distributor that cured the misfires.

The resistor wire I used has about 5-7K ohms per foot, so any high-po wire in that range should work fine on the Renix.

i have the firepower kit on my 98 4.0 works good i did alot at the same time, bigger tires other bling bling and mpg is a little better.

Taking the MSD Blaster2 coil off of my XJ solved all of my voltage, stalling, stuttering problems. I have never looked back.
My $1.41.

thanks all, I appreciate the input. I think the only thing that my work on an 88 is GHOST coil, and even it is modified.

Looks like stock is kinda it.

thanks!

Sorry about the Ghost coil, must be the drugs. Should never have stopped taking them. :gee:

anyway;

What I wanted to post was Cheapjeep2 has the only idea so far that looks like it might work.

Close enough - I emailed him anyhow, and we'll see what comes up.

I'm going to be taking Machine Shop classes soon, and I'm working on ideas for a "coil adapter" for the Renix module to open up some options. If I come up with something I like, I'll probably sell a few...

5-90

5-90, Got your email back channel but since ssnsltd has the same questions I'll reply here. I used the Accel Super coil as mentioned in my previous post. However, any after market coil will work. Your total gain and performance increase will vary depending on the variables like plugs, wires etc. Basically ignore all the manufactures wiring or recommendations.

Your stock coil is mounted directly to the Ignition Control Module (ICM). However, you can seperate them. Un-plug the weather connectors on the ICM and remove it and the coil assembly from the truck so you can see better if you need to. There are two (thinks it's only two) screws that hold the coil to the ICM. Remove these screws and the Coil and ICM will seperate. The stock coil has two round prongs that seat into two u-shaped connectors for the electrical connections.

This is how I hooked up my coil. The stock Coil will be marked with a + and - by the prongs so you will be able to know which is plus and minus on the ICM. If you inspect the u-shapped connectors on the ICM where the coil seats, you will notice that each side of the u is very similar to a male blade style connector. I simply took about 6" of wire in red and black colors and crimped on female blade connectors. I did a test fit by sliding one of the females over one side of the u-connectors. I made a minor adjustment to with a pair of pliers and closed the gap in the female connector for a snugger fit. I packed each female connector with electrical grease and hooked the positive side of the ICM to the postive pole on the coil and did the same for the negative side. The Accel coil is a bit bigger than stock so I could only get one screw from the coil to the ICM. However, I secured everything using metal strapping held in place by the bolts used to hold the ICM to the fender. This has worked well and it has been in place for over 4 years now.

Performance..... It may be different for everyone. For me... this is what I saw. Adding the Accel coil made the jeep feel like I just cleaned the fuel injectors, put in new wires and plugs and run high octane, all in all not a huge difference but there was a difference. In fact, I didn't realize just how much difference there was till I was trouble-shooting a problem and put a new stock coil back into the ICM. If felt like a had lost performance, kinda like fould plugs or fould injectors. When I realized my problem was not coil related I put the Accel back in. I now run the Accel coil, Accel Universal Super Stock 8 mm wires, and a cap and roter with Brass terminals...... You're experince may be difference, but for me, it works, just don't expect rocket power. If all of this did not make sense or you have questions, feel free to call me. 303-714-7174.Troy

Back