• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big Bear ?

SOCAL_KEV

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there everyone. I am pretty new to this web site but I have had my xj for a little over a year. I was wondering what you guys think is the best camp site in Big Bear, and also what you think are the good trail there. I have an 97, 4.5 in lift, and 33's, full skids, rockers, and stock axles and gears. And my friends is the same but with arb lockers and 4:11 gears.
thanks in advance
Kevin

I've seen the Serrano camp group but have never stayed at enough to say which is the best. I've leave it up to the big bear locals / regulars to answer

SOCAL_KEV said:
Hi there everyone. I am pretty new to this web site but I have had my xj for a little over a year. I was wondering what you guys think is the best camp site in Big Bear, and also what you think are the good trail there. I have an 97, 4.5 in lift, and 33's, full skids, rockers, and stock axles and gears. And my friends is the same but with arb lockers and 4:11 gears.
thanks in advance
Kevin

I'm with you on just getting here, if you get anything pm'd to you let me know I am trying to find the same info.

Serrano is nice and located in a good spot close to the Discovery center where many trail rides start out from. The normal good trails are Gold mtn., John Bull & Holcomb Creek. There are many others of varying degrees of dificulty, some easy but very scenic (Highly recommend Easy Butler Peak for the view from the ranger tower) and some tough ones, names escape me though. If you have some experience you should be able to get through any of them w/ your setup.
I bet if you named a day and time to meet up there someone from this board would show up to wheel w/ ya.

Big Bear is one of my favorite places to go. As for camping, it depends on the type of camping you like. Serrano is the most popular. it has tent sites to full motorhome hook-ups and everything in-between.

You can search for camping in Big Bear and see allot of options. There are alos many locations within the forest the you can camp "roughing" it style. Be careful, you have to have an Adventure Pass to park/camp in some areas.

I will be planning a run in Big Bear in the middle of October, probably around the 21st. I have to get my wife's TJ ready. My XJ is ready.

As for trails, JJ mentioned 3 of the most "famous" ones. There is also Dishpan Springs (Deep Creek) that has a few difficult spots.

A good first time run is always Gold Mountain the over to John Bull or Holcomb Creek. If you prefer something a little milder, then Gold Mtn and Jacoby Canyon.

BTW, welcome to the group!!!

Thanks for the imput. I do not know when we are going yet. I will check out Serrano camp site, or are their some cool camp sites that not many people go to? And I have an Adventure Pass. I woud like a more challenging run. I will look up Gold mountain to John Bull. I was also thinking of Heart Break Ridge, Holcomb Creek, or Dishpan Springs. Which one do you guys like the most out of those, we will be up there for 2 or 3 days I think. Will my rig be able to make it on John Bull? I have gone out a couple of times to some trails out East of San Diego. Thank You again for all of your help.

SOCAL_KEV said:
Thanks for the imput. I do not know when we are going yet. I will check out Serrano camp site, or are their some cool camp sites that not many people go to? And I have an Adventure Pass. I woud like a more challenging run. I will look up Gold mountain to John Bull. I was also thinking of Heart Break Ridge, Holcomb Creek, or Dishpan Springs. Which one do you guys like the most out of those, we will be up there for 2 or 3 days I think. Will my rig be able to make it on John Bull? I have gone out a couple of times to some trails out East of San Diego. Thank You again for all of your help.

I ran John Bull and Holcomb Creek a few times in my XJ when it had 3" lift, 31's, and stock gears. Of course, the trails have changed, but you shoudl be fine. Just go with someone that knows the trail as there are a couple of "tricky" areas and the rock gardens are awesome!

2 or 3 days you can run all of the "big" trails easily in three days. You will always want to look into Deep Creek. It has a great waterfall obstacle.

I kind of like the Fawnskin Campground. It's a little bit of dirt between it and the highway, so there is generally less noise at night and much better view of the stars. Its on the North West side of the lake. If you are headed west through Fawnskin you stay straight and take the road to the right (as opposed to staying on the main road and drifting to the left). The road turns to dirt shortly after leaving town. Campsite is a couple miles down the road. GET A MAP of the F.S. roads before you go...you can get lost easily if you're not familiar with the area. Best bet is to go up with someone who been before and let them show you around.

Seranno has the most comforts (Hot Showers & full clean bathrooms), but as mentioned the sites are very close to the main highway. Not that big of a deal if you like a blazing campfire and some Gentlemans Jack.

Big Pine Flats is northwest off towards holcome some and is more rugged and Much easier to find a site at. No showers. But cheaper and more secluded.

If you wanted to stay at serrano you would need to book a site abotu a month or more out type. The other less main stream grounds mostly even have first come first serve sites that they keep open without reservations for those that just want to try to get there and have a chance at camping without the for-sight to book month or more out.

Back