• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG KM2 or ProComp MT

I got a pair of used Pro Comp Mts and bought 2 new ones to go with. By the time I got my tax return the next year, it was time for new tires. The used ones were almost bald and the new ones weren't far behind. Worn down that far, they were ridiculously loud. I replaced them with the MTRs I'm running now and it was a night and day difference. Better traction on the road, nearly silent in comparison, and a year later, they still look almost new.

I wouldn't buy Pro Comps again.

i sliced and chunked up the sidewalls on my km2s but it never seemed like it would go deep enough to hurt them.

Update: I just split the second one in four months.

BFG still isn't making any, and now I'm out of spares.

So I can buy real tires out of pocket (after I just spent $1000 on the BFGs), or park the rig (my daily driver) til they restart production.

Piss on BFG.

Robert

Last edited:
i like the traction of the km2's but i do have a few good gashes in them. i feel they ride well on the street.

but i would be livid if i were in WrenchMonkey's shoes

My dad ran some 33" procomp xtreme mt's on his wrangler for nearly 4 1/2 years and they were awesome tires, they were quiet and hooked up like crazy Offroad even when wet. I'd choose them over the km2's any day

I had Pro Comps and couldn't get rid of them fast enough. I'm more of a trail rider than a rock crawler and they did fine for the type of offroading I do. But on road they wore fast, were stupid loud and did awful in snow.

Have BFG AT's now what do everything the ProComps did and are quieter and better in the snow.

I can only imagine the KM2s would be that much better.

ive seen a lot of pro comps wear prematurely, and scallop. now, most of the people ive seen them have been complete kooks, so maybe that has something to do with it.

the KM2s, ill never spend my money on. 33x12.50 KM2s in a manual with stock 3.07s... i put a buddies on my XJ just to see what kind of clearance i would have, took them for a spin around the block and on the highway too. in 2nd gear, i punched it and spun them in a strait line. not dumping the clutch, just smashed the throttle. that was the day i swore id never waste my money on them, for a DD. i know, i know... true story... i can tell it again. lol.

ive seen a lot of pro comps wear prematurely, and scallop. now, most of the people ive seen them have been complete kooks, so maybe that has something to do with it.

the KM2s, ill never spend my money on. 33x12.50 KM2s in a manual with stock 3.07s... i put a buddies on my XJ just to see what kind of clearance i would have, took them for a spin around the block and on the highway too. in 2nd gear, i punched it and spun them in a strait line. not dumping the clutch, just smashed the throttle. that was the day i swore id never waste my money on them, for a DD. i know, i know... true story... i can tell it again. lol.
not possible on a stock xj without hitting an oil slick, ice, or rain.
something was wrong. i have 31x10.5 km2's and they have extremely good traction, especially on rock or pavement. my HO 4.0l seems to be stronger than average based on pulls against other xj's, and i really have to slip or dump the clutch to get them to break loose in 1st, and SLAM it into second to get even a chirp. and that's a 1 wheel tire frier, 3.07 gears, ax15, and much less contact patch to the road.
i have noticed a lack of traction for a period of time when swapping tires from a car with a different alignment. when the tires wear in to my alignment, they always seem to grip better. this was extra noticable in my mustang. but even then, i have a bit of a hard time buying a second gear roll on spin.

My dad ran some 33" procomp xtreme mt's on his wrangler for nearly 4 1/2 years and they were awesome tires, they were quiet and hooked up like crazy Offroad even when wet. I'd choose them over the km2's any day

This was turning out to be a bash procomp thread...

I have had great luck with my 35 inch extreme mt's. Bought them used, seller called them 70% tread. I have run them for over 15K miles and they are still better than 50% tread. They provide great traction, used them in deep snow, and snowy/rainy roads. No problems at all.

That said, they are getting noisier as they wear. Since I never go wheeling, I will probably trade them out for some A/T's sooner or later.

I'm the third owner of a set of procomps, not much left to them, full of plugs and I climbed steep hills with 6+ inches of snow during a blizzard no problem everyone hates them for some reason but for 80 bucks for 5 I can't bitch

I love my KM2's. Discount had them in 3 days for me... 35-12.50-15's. I have never had a good opinion of pro-comp tires. they seam to cup very fast and wear quickly.

If I where to buy again it would be KM2's.

not possible on a stock xj without hitting an oil slick, ice, or rain.
something was wrong. i have 31x10.5 km2's and they have extremely good traction, especially on rock or pavement. my HO 4.0l seems to be stronger than average based on pulls against other xj's, and i really have to slip or dump the clutch to get them to break loose in 1st, and SLAM it into second to get even a chirp. and that's a 1 wheel tire frier, 3.07 gears, ax15, and much less contact patch to the road.
i have noticed a lack of traction for a period of time when swapping tires from a car with a different alignment. when the tires wear in to my alignment, they always seem to grip better. this was extra noticable in my mustang. but even then, i have a bit of a hard time buying a second gear roll on spin.

it is what it is... it could have been for reasons you mentioned, but it happened. the owner of them even has complaints about their traction on wet surfaces.

it is what it is... it could have been for reasons you mentioned, but it happened. the owner of them even has complaints about their traction on wet surfaces.
certainly didnt mean to imply you were lying, it's just a bit out of character for them from my experiences. :)
As for wet weather driving, i havent noticed anything abnormal about them, especially in a high torque rwd vehicle with a manual trans. i know my saturn and my old ranger were MUCH worse with decent regular radials. however, around here, it doesnt rain very often, and when it does, all the oil from leaky cars makes it like like ice for the first day or so. makes everything a little sketchy.
i dont think i've been wheeling in the rain yet so i cant comment there. havent hit a ton of mud yet either (ruining trails is frowned apon here), but i have done some wheeling in snow and i was extremely pleased.

Have had two sets procraps lots balancing issues ok miles some cupping and I took good care em..
Havnt had chance try KM2"s everyone seems love em have had km"s on Wrangler and 33"s on xj seem be all around good tire..only thing can see is not lot side wall protection on BFG"s

Have had two sets procraps lots balancing issues ok miles some cupping and I took good care em..
Havnt had chance try KM2"s everyone seems love em have had km"s on Wrangler and 33"s on xj seem be all around good tire..only thing can see is not lot side wall protection on BFG"s
i definitely got a few sidewall gashes in my km2's, but they were well deserved.

Back