• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better than Cobra brakes...

Everyone says this about their brake kit. Nobody specifies what pad they are using, or how much pedal effort... I'm running 235s and with stock replacement pads in my ZJ discs and stock D30, it will lock up - but only with a *lot* of pedal effort.

Have you swapped to the ZJ guts WITH rear disc inside the Proportioning Valve?

I think part of people's placebo boner from rear brake swaps comes from the fact that their drums weren't working properly in the first place. I know mine was, thats why I swapped. For the LIFE of me I could not get my rear drums to work effectively and consistently. They would lock up, or not even apply. Even with ALL new parts.

Threw on a explorer/zj hybrid swap system, and made a HUGE improvement. However, I'm sure the brakes are only working *as they should* now, and not exceptional by any means.

I'm interested in these front swaps, lets keep it on topic.

I gotta agree - the best thing about 8.8 / ZJ discs is that they aren't drums.
And yes, I've put the ZJ guts in the valve. I've been happy with the braking power both times I needed to panic stop, I just have a hard time believing I'd get the same results with 35s.

Back