• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better spark plug

Better Plugs for a 4.0L

• NGK

Votes: 34 20.0%
  • Champion

Votes: 97 57.1%
  • Bosch Anything

Votes: 23 13.5%
  • Any Basic Plug.. Acdelco Autolite

Votes: 16 9.4%

• Total voters
Most people dont like them for some reason, but I loved the differenc I felt in mine when I put E3 plugs in. 5.99 each. Better then 25$.

NGKs on the advice of a 20 year Jeep dealership mechanic. '00, runs fine.

Definitely Champion plugs!!!
I work at a Chrysler Jeep Dealership, and I see countless vehicles that run rough with multiple cylinder misfires. I check the plugs and there are bosch platinum or ngk, recomend plugs to the customer and they say "I just got a tune up a week ago" not surprising the rough running condition has been going on for about a week. Change the plugs back to the OE Champions and the vehicle runs great.

Definitely Champion plugs!!!
I work at a Chrysler Jeep Dealership, and I see countless vehicles that run rough with multiple cylinder misfires. I check the plugs and there are bosch platinum or ngk, recomend plugs to the customer and they say "I just got a tune up a week ago" not surprising the rough running condition has been going on for about a week. Change the plugs back to the OE Champions and the vehicle runs great.

Yes. I use Champion RC12LYC on my '92.
But XJtattoo, do you use anti size on the threads? :shhh:

I do, just a little, not everyone does.
I figure for the extra minute it takes me when the customer who doesn't follow the service intervals comes in and the plugs need to come out, I'm not using a 2 foot breaker bar or impact gun to get plugs out. especially on the hemi or the new 4.7(dual plug) some of those are dificult to get to with just a regular ratchet.

My 95 XJ calls for RC12LYC and I've been using copper champion's. I believe the interval for non platinum is 30k and about 60k for a platinum. Just popped in some Motorcraft platinum plugs in my 01 Grand Marquis at 62,000....I believe the plugs I pulled out were originals. They looked just fine but why not replace them about the time of the interval?

I'm a few thousand miles away from 30k on my Champion plugs in the Jeep and I have had no problems. I was thinking about trying Champion truck plugs next time. I know many use them but they are a colder plug than the RC12LYC's aren't they? So does that mean they will foul quicker?

I did run Bosch Platinum plugs in the XJ but changed them out when I heard the horror stories on here. And here is not the only place I've heard of the bad, I've heard from individuals about the ground "wire" (or whatever you call it) on the Bosch Platinum's breaking off and falling out of the plug.

Changed the plugs on my Crown Vic at 100,000 miles. Computer said gas mileage stayed the same (about 26mpg at a steady 80MPH trip) before and after. As you say, the truck plug is a touch colder. Unless your standard plug is too white, I'd go with the platinum for the same price. And the tip end is tapered, which is an advantage (an old stock car racing mechanic taught me).

Platinums are not standard for the XJ. I wasn't talking about deciding on Platinums for the Mercury if that is what you thought, I already popped Motorcraft Platinum's in it.

But yes the Panther is awesome, 26mpg highway for me too. City, not so nice....

But back to the XJ, maybe we can have a debate Champion Copper RC12LYC (which the "catalyst" firewall sticker calls for) or Champion Truck plugs?

I always get NGKs. Never used champion. I used Bosch platinum +4 once, and they really sucked.

Yes. I use Champion RC12LYC on my '92.
But XJtattoo, do you use anti size on the threads? :shhh:

My understanding on anti seize is that if the threads are plain steel, you use it. If the threads are plated you don't.
I can't remember for sure, I think I got this info from the Champion customer service.
I use NGKs my 96, 99, 01 run great.

My jeep (RENIX) seems to like the cheap champions the best.

OK. I prefer to use the copper anti seize, because it is conductive.
But I watch out for overtorque with the greased threads.
Is Champion in the past not mention a special coating on the threads of their plugs? :shhh:

'92 XJ

Copper antiseize is usually cheaper. The more expensive stuff is nickel based. The thread make good enough contact either way. As mentioned, it is important to be careful on reducing the torque so you don't pull the threads out of the head. That's very easy to do on aluminum heads. If you look at the directions many plugs say to finger tighten and then turn xx number of degrees (15 or 30 degrees, can't remember which).

When someone says they just installed a different brand plug and it suddenly ran great, I always wonder if the improvement was from installing new plugs versus that particular brand.

FWIW, I replaced the OEM plugs (MOPAR/Champion) in my 98 XJ 77K ago with NGK V-Power plugs.

I run NGK V-Powers in all my applicaitons, including all MOPAR applications. :yelclap:

Back