• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better antenna?

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
My factory power antenna has finally gave up, now is the opportunity to upgrade to something better hopefully. Is there a antenna out there that will give me better fm reception? The only station worth listening to around here fades out about a quarter of the way into one of the routes I run the most and im stuck listening to pop for the rest of the day. It doesn't need to be a power antenna by the way, as far as I know that's mainly to prevent vandalism and the only mischief I have to worry about is from those darn children of the corn.

A vertical, single piece antenna will provide the best omnidirectional reception. Higher placement may help. If you are in flatlands, a roof-mounted antenna may help significantly. Maybe try a magnetic mount antenna on the roof?

I have to wonder whether the radio/antenna in the Jeep is even the issue, or if maybe the issue's with the signal itself (maybe the station's only licensed for lower power, and your route is on the fringes, maybe the fade area's on the border of the coverage area of another station that's on the same frequency and it's interfering, etc.).

Do you have a separate radio you could try with in the area where it fades? Could be a battery-operated portable, just pull over when the Jeep loses it and see if the portable can still hear the station. Alternately, have you ever seen this happen in the same area with a different vehicle?

Additionally, what can you tell us about the radio in the jeep? Original or aftermarket?

Last edited:
Oh, it's definitely because I'm getting out of the stations range. I was just hoping that there was a way to better pick up a weak signal. I've seen signal boosters you can add, but im not sure how effective they are. It's an alpine aftermarket unit and despite being in kansas, im in the glaciated region which is everything but flat. Can't add a roof top antenna, I park in a 7ft garage and frequently go through an automatic car wash.

Signal booster won't help. A longer antenna may help. A 1/2 wavelength FM antenna in a vertical orientation would provide beneficial gain, but it would have to be 5 ft long which wouldn't work too well on a moving vehicle. My suggestion is to go with a solid whip antenna that is 30-33 inches long (1/4 wavelength). The factory XJ whip is 32", so that's the best bet.

Darn, okay that probably what I'll do when I get a chance. Do i have to remove the fender? Looking through the crack in the door it looks like a formidable assembly.

Another thought? A station I listen to here (or at least at one time had) a second frequency so they could be heard in the extreme southern part of the state (the station was based in Trenton). Same programming/content, just simulcast on a second frequency.

Any chance the station you're trying to hear has something like that, located where it'd cover this particular area?

Oh, another thought - does this station stream over the internet? I've been Would your phone's data plan and the area's cell coverage support that as an option?

It's not on another frequency, I was annoyed the other day and was just going to stream pandora, but even though my stereo has a Bluetooth mode, I found out you have to buy another module to make it work! Anyway. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll just put a regular mast on it and switch between the stations when they fade or play annoying songs. There are a few that are just over played and I have to turn the station when they come one, my bloody valentine, or Benny and the jets will make me switch in a heart beat!

I feel you. I installed an aux in in a blank on the switches where I guess fog lights would be, but am still struggling to wire it properly into something after failing to wire it to my under-rear seat amp. A few years ago a place would mod you a factory radio with an AUX but they don't do that anymore. I don't want an aftermarket radio because they tend to look pretty aggressively "cool" and non-stock.

For a regular, non-powered antenna you don't have to take the fender off. Just pull the rubber/plastic wheel well guard and you can reach up in there to do what you have to. Not sure if this applies though as I don't know how the motor mechanism is hooked up under there. So this post was no help basically ;)

A few years ago a place would mod you a factory radio with an AUX but they don't do that anymore. I don't want an aftermarket radio because they tend to look pretty aggressively "cool" and non-stock.

I remember having a look at their website back when they were doing those mods, as I found it interesting. Even when they did, they offered it for the radios on the 97+ mo (which are DIN).

Does the Alpine have a USB port?
How about recording your own music
and play from a flash drive...?

Back