• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best years for a build?

I'm sorry if I hurt any feelings in this thread. When I said only poor people buy $500 beaters, I really meant poor people and idiots. These are the same people who will be posting in 2 weeks asking what that clunking noise is, or why their turn signal unlocks their doors.

Unless you're some sort of master mechanic, or are willing to tear into the vehicle and do the kind of repairs noone likes doing (like fixing wiring harnesses under the dash), stay away from the cheapest junk and buy something that actually clean and not abused by mickey mouse.

I'm sorry if I hurt any feelings in this thread. When I said only poor people buy $500 beaters, I really meant poor people and idiots. These are the same people who will be posting in 2 weeks asking what that clunking noise is, or why their turn signal unlocks their doors.

Unless you're some sort of master mechanic, or are willing to tear into the vehicle and do the kind of repairs noone likes doing (like fixing wiring harnesses under the dash), stay away from the cheapest junk and buy something that actually clean and not abused by mickey mouse.

Wow.

I paid $700 for my '87 in 2003. Does that make me poor, and an idiot?

It had 27,700 miles on the odometer, new tires, new shocks, and showroom condition interior with good paint. It "didnt run", as the battery was bad and it had been sitting for two years. It cost me out the door just shy of $900 to have it purchased, repaired, smogged and insured.

Later, I decided I wanted a 2 door, and paid $1800 for a 1998 2 door 4x4 with just under 200k on the clock. It was a fleet vehicle for a utility, well maintained and drove like new.

You however, as it appears, went to the most expensive car lot in town and paid twice the going rate for the same thing everyone else is getting, to show how much money you have. This isn't the first time you have posted expressing such.

.. Too bad mom's money won't buy you a clue.

Last edited by a moderator:
*****ATTENTION*****

Please not there is no insulting allowed on naxja even if the threat level of stupidity is ELEVATED

Some people like cheap beater XJ's because they're just going to beat the crap out of it anyway. People have different goals, as well as different skill sets. I wouldn't be too judgemental. Some of the most experienced folks around here have built a couple of beater XJ's.

Some of the most experienced folks around here have built a couple of beater XJ's.

dsc00986%20%28medium%29.jpg

This is my beater MJ.

It'll get a rash of parts on it and it'll be a nice dd.

HAHA look what I got....
Dear veedubshafer,

You have received an infraction at NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association.

Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)
-------
No insulting,
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Last edited by a moderator:
$500 doesn't necessarily mean "beater", but its not always flawless. I personally don't care how much I pay for my vehicle, as long as I can afford it and at the end of the day, I'm proud of what I've built. Alot of times, people will sell their XJ because it has something really basic wrong with it, but they don't have the money to get it fixed and don't know how to fix it. THOSE are usually the gems that I watch for.

I'm determined to hold out for a nice, rust free (or easily fixable) somewhat clean one. When I pull into school, I don't necessarily need the cleanest car in the lot, but turning heads would be nice. A lift and tires tend to bring eyes to your rig, so I'm not gonna drive a "jalopy", you can be sure of that.

I think however you get into the "Jeep" life, whether it be with $100 or $5,000...as long as you're enjoying life to the fullest, getting your hands dirty, and spending your weekends away from the pavement...thats what its all about. Paying too much is not really the "Jeep" way to do things, because the more you save, the more you have for parts!

I think i'm gonna say no to the 89, its old with too many miles on it and I'd rather do the build myself. PA and NJ have turned up quite a few to look at, so i'll keep looking.

You however, as it appears, went to the most expensive car lot in town and paid twice the going rate for the same thing everyone else is getting, to show how much money you have. This isn't the first time you have posted expressing such.

.. Too bad mom's money won't buy you a clue.

You seem to lack an understanding of dollar value. Hint: I am not from your country. Secondly, if I wanted to show how much money I had, I would not be buying a Chrysler product from 1998. Thirdly, I haven't accepted money from my parents since I got a part time job while in highschool, and that was a long time ago.

You seem to lack an understanding of dollar value. Hint: I am not from your country. Secondly, if I wanted to show how much money I had, I would not be buying a Chrysler product from 1998. Thirdly, I haven't accepted money from my parents since I got a part time job while in highschool, and that was a long time ago.

You raise an interesting point.

I'm surprised the party you purchased from accepted dollars.

sorry to bump such an old thread, but just wanted to update my situation.

I found this XJ on craigslist, it was pure luck that I decided to refresh the page one more time before I got off. I jumped on it and called the guy within 15 mins of it being posted, went out that night and looked at it. Came back the next day to drive it, and bought it.

Its a '97 with the HP30 and 8.25. Minimal rust, a small spot above the windshield, and some rust on the hatch (will be replaced with a junkyard one). Had 188k on the clock. 235s. It ran flawlessly and needed absolutely nothing, passed inspection easy. I had front brakes and ujoints done about 1k later.

Here's how it looks today:
4u9d05.jpg

So far I've done Hella fogs and a CB. I have Warrior 3" coils and Quadratec HD leaves waiting to go in. Then I plan do do shackle relocation to level out the rear. 31" BFG ATs are sitting in the garage waiting to go on, too.

It was the best purchase I've ever made. Want to know how much I paid for it? $750. And it isn't a "poor man's beater", either. Paying 750 for this left me a nice hunk of change to spend on upgrades, maintenance, and gas.

Duh, I paid $589 for my 90 with 137,000, and drove it home; guess that makes me trailer park trash!

I like the 90 and earlier, you can do what you want. OBDI/II have more goodies available, but not all that much. And the OBDII will fight you on making mods.

The problem the OP needs to watch out for is the location. Location, location, location! I will make a general statement--rust belt vehicles are more trouble!

I only paid 1000 for my 98 sport. Shit I have more money into my lift than I do my jeep. I must be straight up redneck white trash.
100_3226.jpg

Edit: The tires are 33"x9.5" studded tires that my friend sold me for 40 bucks. 85% tread. I ended up giving him 60 since he met me half way. I must be worse than white trash for running such cheap tires.

Well I payed 400 for my 88, I have drove it for almost 5 years, been to Indiana, Lousiana, South Carolina coast and daily driver, also all over the mountains here in E. Tennessee, N. Carolina and Virgina. It's got 257.767 on the OD have replaced is a thermostat, headgasket, coolant bottle, starter and battery. So if that's a poor mans rig I'll take everyone I can find. :cheers:

yeah, i'm in the same boat. i've bought several beaters for $700 or less, and a couple i have put over 100,000 miles on! the one i have now is the nicest jeep i've ever owned, and i've had a couple nice ones...

I only paid 1000 for my 98 sport. Shit I have more money into my lift than I do my jeep. I must be straight up redneck white trash.
100_3226.jpg

Edit: The tires are 33"x9.5" studded tires that my friend sold me for 40 bucks. 85% tread. I ended up giving him 60 since he met me half way. I must be worse than white trash for running such cheap tires.

Wow. Your name is completely appropriate. :cheers:

Back