• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best winch for the $$$

FlexinCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I recently toasted my Warn M8000 on a weekend wheeling trip and am currently in the market for a new one (go figure). I've seen a few from smittybilt that look intriguing, looks like a 10k pounder for 400-500 bucks. Any other suggestions?

Well, I recently toasted my Warn M8000 on a weekend wheeling trip and am currently in the market for a new one (go figure). I've seen a few from smittybilt that look intriguing, looks like a 10k pounder for 400-500 bucks. Any other suggestions?

How old is it? Have you considered talking to Warn about it! They are pretty good about keeping their name in the upper standards box! Try sending it to them or purchasing a new motor from them or even going to an electrical shop (starters/ alternators) and see if they can rebuild it. Chances are they can. I have two Honda Oddyssy FL350's the starters were toast. New ones were over $400.00 each! Now I have brand new (windings) rebuilt starters for $125.00 each. They were a little more because of the rarity of them, that was 6 years ago and still working good! Good Luck!

First I'd troubleshoot and find out if it's the motor or the solenoid pack. Either way a rebuild is cheaper then replacement. If the rebuild isn't in the cards check around. I got an M-8000 for under 500 from Amazon about a year ago.

Serious Offroad is having a stupid deal on 8,500lbs Rugged Ridge winches for $250.00 delivered.

Call Frank. Buy one. Be happy.

I have the smittybilt X2O and I can't complain, I've made multiple pulls in a day including one at about 80 feet uphill(he snapped a rear shaft so we were winch to winch 120+ feet or so to get his jeep out of a hole.) after we were done my winch wasn't even warm, my battery was thou :)

got a used 8274 off another board for 500
couldnt be happier with it!
its not pretty being older than the jeep, but performance is second to none.

guess it depends on what your needs are

Fix the M8000. I'm replacing the XRC-8 that I have with an M8000 now. The Warn is far superior.

If you don't want to fix it I'll give ya 50 bucks for it.

Quoted for truth.

If you ditch the M8000 for a smittybilt you shall be quickly slapped in the face.

;)

Haha! Cracker almost had a bitch fit when i told him i was gonna buy a smitty built.

Bought a Warn Instead. Yet to install it but seems legit and i like that Warn has a superior warranty Vs other companies.

Haha, the forum is always good for a few laughs. I'm fairly certain that the M8000 is older than I am, it's had 2 solenoids replaced and I was told the other two were "good". I may try my hand at taking it to a rebuilders shop and seeing what they can do for me.

482BAD61-EF4B-4A10-81E5-E500A59CFC8D-7035-000005A5F7D8047A_zps7fa26854.jpg

Back