• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best track bar frame mount?

My new track bar braced hasn't failed at all, even with all the web wheeling I do ;)

IMHO, you need to brace the mount to the other frame rail. Last year, my trackbar mount was moving like crazy with steering input, even with my small 35s. Short of sleeving the inside, outside and bottom of the frame around the trackbar to prevent flex, I think our braces are still a good idea to spread the loads coming up the track bar. I did BTW, sleeve the outside of the frame rail the .25 plate (about 4"x13" piece with holes drilled to accomodate the track bar bolts.

Works great from my chair here!

SeanP

What the heck is this? some sort of mount?---->
UCA_plated4.jpg

whatever it is it looks mighty taisty:D should fly you over, so you can make me one, Ill figure out what to do with it afterwards :D

Richard, it sounds like your requirements have narrowed your options down to homemade. The stock TB mount is the only one that is strong enough, but your coil hits it; the aftermarket ones are flat on the outside, but they are not strong enough.
I couldn't do the SBS either since I already had 3/16" plate inside & out, but I was able to add the SBS sleeves/spacers. Judging by the install, I think they added a lot of beef, well worth the weight of the sleeves:)
Paul

KarmirXJ said:
What the heck is this? some sort of mount?---->

whatever it is it looks mighty taisty:D should fly you over, so you can make me one, Ill figure out what to do with it afterwards :D

That's the upper control arm mount for my 3 link. The holes are for rossette welds into the 'frame'.

Richard, I think it's time for a Unibody eliminator kit from U.R. Fawked Racing.

It will cure what ails you.

On the tech side, the new rig will re-use the RE track bar bracket (the new style ones are welded inside and out (I broke the old single pass design) ), but I absolutely detest their small spherical bearing. It goes out after every two trips and I have to rebuild/tighten it. I'll switch to a 3/4" heim.

You'd be surprised about the RE bracket, it doesn't hit the UCA mount, but rather the front edge of the 44. If you move the axle back enough to clear, the tire gets into the wheel well.

CRASH

Richard, the RE unit is nice, but you can just build your own to fit your custom frontend setup.
After seeing the RE and Rusty's TB mount, I just decided to build my own. I relocated my axle end to the top so the RE drop was not needed. I designed it to use a small RE SF joint, but I'm still running the heim and spacers which fit into the same space. I also built a tab on the inboard side to bolt my DOM tube crossmember/brace to and incorperated a stud for bolting the steering stablilizer to so it is up out of the way. I used a combination of 3/16 wall rect. tube and 1/4" plate. Sorry, no pictures.

Richard, when I put in my D44, I built my own track bar mount. I made it shorter than stock to match my TJ pitman arm height and I shifted the actual mount for the track bar forward a bit to clear the axle at full stuff. I started with a 3/16" flat plat bent into an L and bolted against the frame. Then I welded a piece of box tubing to the bottom of the flat plate (with one side cut open) but angled it such that the track bar would follow the arc of the axle as it moves down and back. I also held it in a bit from the outer side of the frame. Then I took a piece of 1/4" and heated and bent it to pass along the outer side of the frame and then meet the box steel mount. There is quite a bit of triangulation in this setup to strengthen the mount and the part along the frame side is actually 7/16" thick. It sticks out less than the stock piece, but is stronger than the RE piece (in my opinion.) I also added another piece as a side brace and welded it all into one solid arrangement. Pics can be found at: http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/JAfrontD44arb/FrontD44arb.htm

Just to give you an idea of a home made setup. I know I haven't run the tires nor rocks that you do, so it's ultimate durability has not really been tested. :) Jeff

BTW, XJeeper, I want to see pics!

Does anyone know if the RE mount will fit a Currie 2.5" JJ? If it won't fit one (2 5/8" ID), then it's a moot point because I can't use it.

Crash, where does the RE mount hit? Remember, I don't have an UCA mount on that side.

I may just go ahead and modify another stock mount, maybe use the ORGS bracket. I can trim the part on the outside of the frame to get some more clearance for the coil spring.

Goatman said:
Does anyone know if the RE mount will fit a Currie 2.5" JJ? If it won't fit one (2 5/8" ID), then it's a moot point because I can't use it.

Crash, where does the RE mount hit? Remember, I don't have an UCA mount on that side.

I may just go ahead and modify another stock mount, maybe use the ORGS bracket. I can trim the part on the outside of the frame to get some more clearance for the coil spring.

Dont tell Mark I said so, but you can make a similar bracket easily with a piece of 3x3x3/16. The ID is 2.625 which is what you need for a JJ........ask me how I know. :)

Jim, that's what I have on my current mount. I use 3x3x3/16 boxed tubing for all my mounts......I can do it again, but didn't want to have to totally fab something this time. :dunno: :)

vintagespeed said:
Dont tell Mark I said so, but you can make a similar bracket easily with a piece of 3x3x3/16. The ID is 2.625 which is what you need for a JJ........ask me how I know. :)

I heard that JB!

Ya but my bracket is 1/4" and is nicely lazer cut so no need for massive cutting grinding.:D

Richard you can adapt it to anything you wanted to...

mark
orgs mfg

Mark, I used your Over the Axle Trackbar bracket and 2" extended swaybar mounts. They made my steering conversion come together so much smoother. I wish I could post pics, I'd like to see what you guys think.
Thanks again-Mark-NAXJA,
Rensing

I too love ORGS products and ran ORGS suspension arms, TB, leafs, SBS, simply the best XJ stuff out there IMHO. Thankfully there is someone like Mark to be the ying to Rusty's yang......

For the comments about the RE Extreme-Duty trackbar mount cracking, do you know how old it was? If over a year or so it's probably their older design. Along with apparently beefing it up a bit they moved the lower section inboard slightly to clear the coils.

x-duty_trackbar.jpg

Yucca-Man said:
For the comments about the RE Extreme-Duty trackbar mount cracking, do you know how old it was? If over a year or so it's probably their older design. Along with apparently beefing it up a bit they moved the lower section inboard slightly to clear the coils.

x-duty_trackbar.jpg

this is REs newest design yucca?

Richard, the trackbar and the mount were hitting the cover of the 44, right near the top. The trouble with a 44 and high steer is that the bracket must slip right between the two. It may not be a problem with your 44, though, since your pumpkin is about 3/4" farther towards teh center than mine (you used a longer drivers side axle than i did.)

CRASH

Yucca-Man said:
Yeah, that's the new one. Mounted it on my 96 a few weeks ago

If you dont mind me asking, what did that mount cost separate? That is similar to something I want to make but with even more beef. Just curious price wise.

CRASH said:
Richard, the trackbar and the mount were hitting the cover of the 44, right near the top. The trouble with a 44 and high steer is that the bracket must slip right between the two. It may not be a problem with your 44, though, since your pumpkin is about 3/4" farther towards teh center than mine (you used a longer drivers side axle than i did.)

CRASH

I looked at mine closely, and I don't think it would hit the diff. I think mine is already lower than what the RE bracket would be. I still might just get the RE mount, and add some beef to it, just because I'm looking for quick and easy at this point. Who knows....I guess it will come down to what mood I'm in and how much time I have. :)

I'll have to put some thought into a brace, which will make a difference on how I beef up the mount.

vintagespeed said:
If you dont mind me asking, what did that mount cost separate? That is similar to something I want to make but with even more beef. Just curious price wise.

Mine was an upgrade to the standard trackbar in the RE6130 4.5" kit, but their website lists the mount alone for $70. RE1665 H.D. Trackbar Bracket.

Jim

Back