• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best tool ???

Dammit you're going to make me go look aren't you - it's cold out! But there is no sealing washer of any kind on the hex recess ones so I don't see how it can be anything but a pipe thread.

Dammit you're going to make me go look aren't you - it's cold out! But there is no sealing washer of any kind on the hex recess ones so I don't see how it can be anything but a pipe thread.

Both XJ's I have owned have a flat metallic sealing ring in both the drain plug and the fill plug similar to the ring found on the 4.0L and the AW4 drain plugs. The threads were also not standard pipe (tapered) thread. If they were there will be no need for the metallic sealing (I think it is made from aluminum) ring.

I went down to the barn and found the old TC that's lying there, along with the hex plug I put in when I robbed out the original (complete with the allen socket I booger-welded in to get it out). It is indeed very slightly tapered, and washerless, but it is not NPT, it is metric. The threads are finer than NPT and the taper very slight.

If you can get it out at all, one option here is to find a 3/8 inch drive socket (I always have a bucket of crappy asian ones handy for this) and weld it to the face of the plug. There's plenty of clearance for this, and you'll then have a nearly foolproof square socket to use next time. I've done this over the years with a number of boogered-up drain plugs, and as long as you have space, it works fine. The excavator in my avatar has that on its oil drain, in fact.

Hallo! 30mm socket will do the job.

But the plugbolt is very flat and the socket is with round edges..
Grind away a few milimeters of the socket and there are sharper edges, to have full grip on the plugs and you can make a lot of torque.:speepin:

Wim from holland

Back