• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Tire?

edec374

NAXJA Forum User
I've got quite the dilemma on my hands. We currently live in Tennessee, but will be moving to Florida this summer. Up here, it's mostly crawling over shit. Down there, we play in the mud :) . Should we go ahead and spend the money to get mud tires, or get some used all-terrains? I'm thinking I wanna go ahead with some 31" MT's, but I'm used to rednecking it and having to get pulled out. Any help, guys?

I'd do the MT's but that is just me.

It's going to be both until we get another vehicle. But currently, it's parked with no interior! If we get MT's, it'll be an emergency road vehicle with the other car as the DD though

where in FL? if its Jacksonville? then MT.. if its tampa? Swampers... if its miami? All Terrains

I second what jeepgeek said for different tires for different locations. Also will you be driving it from here down there or will you be hauling it? If driving then you don't want to have any kind of M/T or A/T oversized tire at all as it'll kill your mileage.

We're moving to Orlando, but I plan on making trips back home b/w Gainesville and St Auggie with it to take it to HogWaller. I'm from the redneck part of Florida. And it will def be hauled (MUCH cheaper than gas!).

Well if you're going to be doing mud then do mud tires as with A/T's you'll get stuck every time versus M/T's you'll get stuck some of the time. I'd go with LTB's they're not to expensive and have gotten good reviews across a variety of terrain.

ATs in Tennessee mud:

Click for bigger.

A/T's in central NC mud. No good, either.

DSC_0891.jpg

I've been happy with ProComp mud terrains and would recommend them for most situations. They do well in the mud yet have perfect street manners. With no balancing, they do 70MPH on the interstate with ease. They're not loud either.

The tradeoff is they are radials and don't have bulletproof sidewalls like bias ply swampers, so while you're still in the Tennesee rocks, take it easy. No worries on the highway or in Tebow-land when you get there.

My XJ has ProComp MT's on it when I bought the thing .. they were worn way unevenly and shook the whole jeep above 50mph.

Still grabbed the mud pretty well.

i just got 33x12.5x15 wild country m/tthey are sick and all the reviews say that they wear like iron and theyre great in the mud and ok in the rocks

All around great tire for mud and street? KM2 by BFG

when i was in fl, we lived in okeechobee a lot of guys around there ran the military tread they were cheap adn can get about anywhere down there, i ahd a set of mt claws and they did really good in the mud and great in the sand just my .02

Hey I live in Port Saint Lucie which is 100 miles from Orlando. Florida is mud and sand so I say a general mud tire is good, not too aggressive a mud tire or you will dig holes fast in the sand. Like pro comp mud terrains or similar. I had many sets of Nitto Terra Grapplers and get 40,000 while keeping up with guys in my club with swampers etc. I don't purposely do mud only to get to the trail not to play in it. Its a good way to help aid rust here in FL.

Back