• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best tire for rocks and trails, not mud

whats the best tire for a DD, and trail ready XJ

• goodyear MTR

Votes: 137 48.9%
  • BFG mud terrain

Votes: 74 26.4%
  • Xtreme pro comp

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • super swamper SSR

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • super swamper tsl

Votes: 30 10.7%
  • mickey thompson baja claw RADIAL

Votes: 13 4.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
i would say a MTR thats what i run and im in washington even in the mud there not bad you just air dwon to about 10-8 psi and ur good to go. If you are running a locker in the rear u do not want an SSR on ur DD its like driven on ice in the rain thats what my last tires were and they sucked ASS!

i vote trxus.. they do great on road.. do well in mud "due to the offset lugs" and i know here in Ky there is always a messy spot or 2 back in the woods and mud traction is necessary.. I wasnt impressed with MTR's traction on slick rock either..

kyv53

I don't like that the X-Terrains are directional. I had a friend who has blown 2 and the spare wasn't mounted in the right direction for either. No big deal as a spare to get him home, but a pain to take off and remount. Also... the sidewalls were at fault for both blowouts. Maybe just his bad luck.

fwiw,
I think for me running in the Pacific Northwest as well, The TSL/SX's are pretty tough in everything around here. Any TSL for that matter is.
But the DD in a jeep up here seems to like the ride of an mtr tire, and is willing (not really but that's the way it usually is) to winch in "some" (very few) spots that the TSL's don't have too.
My other half, she runs LTB swampers on her Exploder.
They also might be a good swamper to look at on an XJ. Let's face it though an mtr is "not" a swamper. And a swamper is "not" an mtr on the highway either...:) I like BFG KO's too, and yes the MTR's as well.

xterrains suck! they are loud, and directional tires aren't a good idea. GY MTR's all the way!

brandon
BTW, i've ran xterrains, TSL, BFG mt's and at's, GY MTR's

If you want it all--the traction of a swamper and the pretty good sidewall and the nice ride like the mtr then get the super swamper trxus. I had them before on my old jeep, now have bfgs and wish I still had the trxus. They will be my next set.-------Kyle

Willis said:
If you are running the same trails I do here in the NorthWest, then you usually hit some mud or clay about anywhere you go (unless it's very dry). MT/Rs don't really self-clean that well, especially in the stickier stuff like the clay we run into. They are a great trail and rock tire IMHO, and I have 5 brand new 35" MT/Rs that are going on my XJ when the axles are done. However, if I were to do it again, I'd go IROK or Krawler, but that's cause mine's not a DD.

For DD use on a trail ready rig, you can't go wrong with the old standbys, the MT/R and BFG Mud. I do love the PJ Dirt Grips cause they are very sticky and tough, but spendy. The Trxus is supposed to be a pretty good tire, and has a very nice price tag to go with it. Depending on how quick you need tires, you might want to watch these two new tires for different size availability: Nitto Mud Grappler, and Maxxis Creepy Crawler. Currently, I think, they are only available in 37" and larger flavors, but they both seem to be getting pretty good reviews.

Steve

They are selling the Maxis Creepy Crawler on ebay in 35" sizes. Very expensive though. The tread doesn't look very freindly for daily driving though.

No Procomp MTR's on the list?

They seem to work pretty well for me, on the rocks.

--ron

The problem that I have with the Goodyear is that the store will call the police to have you removed from the showroom rather than admit that their tire was A defective p o s. The MTR may look like all that and an overpriced bag of chips, but I'd rather duct tape some blown out old Converse sneakers to my wheels. When the tape fails, I'll walk. But hey, thats just me.

IROKS, Ive had MTR's and they are not impressive. I do not know what the hype is all about. Iroks are impressive.

Ok, alot of people seem to raving about IROKs and thats fine, but considering the original post stated it would be for DD.....You all know how fast those wear out. A guy in my club has already gone through a set in less than 1 year, yes his was a DD and he didnt have but 10-12 trail runs on them. Just making an observation.

I do all my wheeling in the rocks and I loved my Xterrains. I am running BFG MT's now and while they aren't quite as sticky in the rocks as the Procomps, they are wearing better. My XJ is a daily driver. I guess my vote would have to go to the BFG's. I didn't however feel that the Xterrains were any louder on the highway than my BFG's. The ridiculously inflated price, the sidewall failures I have seen on the trail, and the lack of traction on any wet surface, would keep me away from the MTR's.

went to the tire shop the other day to get some rims swapped out... those new Toyo mud terrains look promising. i said the xterrains suck... earlier... but for rocks they're good. i still think MTR's are the best all around tire for offroad and DDing

brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back