• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best SUV for towing around 10k$

JumpinXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My girl wants a 2004+ JGC.

I told her get the 4.7 2WD so we could tow the boat with it. She doesnt care, just needs a new car and would love something comfortable.

So in this range we find

2002+ Explorer v8 limited
2002+ JGC v8 limited

can anyone recommend something newer, more comfortable, and reliable? She doesnt like chevy tahoes either

Best SUV for towing a boat is a Diesel Excursion or 3/4 ton Suburban unless the boat is very small and light. The exploder and the JGC are both built for comfort, not for work.

Specs on boat/possible weight that will be towed may help.
Would probably be better off with a Durango. Yes, depending on year, they do have the same engine as the WJ. But is has a frame and I believe a higher towing capacity.

3000 lb max. small 19 foot openbow

I NEED TO STRESS THAT THIS IS GOING TO BE A DAILY DRIVER FOR A GIRL AND WEEKEND TOW now and then. She needs low miles and newer. Newer is better then anything for her. So no full size chassis.

No diesel, no truck, escalade is a GM truck. She has a thing against GM.

Durango. I doubt that the newer models come with a 5.9, but my '02 has the 5.9 & towed my pig of an XJ (4800#) on a 16' trailer up the PA mountains. People say the 4.7 is pretty powerful, and it is a Chrysler vehicle. Should make easy work of a 3k boat. It is, however, IMO an incredibly ugly Chrysler vehicle, but your requirements did not mention aesthetics :laugh3:.

98 limited ZJ if you can find one.

3k isn't much, my dad tows that regularly with his XJ.

I would look for a 4.7 Commander or even better yet a Hemi. The Hemi 4x4 can handle up to 7400# and the 4.7 can handle around 6k. Both get about the same mileage. I'm getting 13 in town and 20-22 on the highway in my 09 Hemi.

It may be hard to find one around 10k though

Best SUV for towing around 10k$

If you got it in big bills, you could probably fit it in your pocket.

Even fives and tens, I think a backpack would work.

I don't think you'd need an SUV unless you were towing it around in nickels.

Robert

X10 suv's are for grocery shopping!!!! not towing.

I would look for a 4.7 Commander or even better yet a Hemi. The Hemi 4x4 can handle up to 7400# and the 4.7 can handle around 6k. Both get about the same mileage. I'm getting 13 in town and 20-22 on the highway in my 09 Hemi.

It may be hard to find one around 10k though

it may say that on the door but it couldnt stop 7400#'s get a truck!

My buddie tows a 20 or 21' malibu ski boat with his Durango with no problems. It doesn't have the 5.9 either, just one of the smaller v8's.

Older diesel 'Burban or Excursion.

Again, I believe the Durango does fine. A friend used to have the 5.2 and he towed his CJ on 36s to Rausch more than once, using the same trailer I used for my XJ (it's actually his). He kept his speed at around 55, but the D did fine. That was the "old style" Durangos like mine. The newer one might be even better- and cheaper since they're so ugly and possibly going out of production ...

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the new Durango is ugly as sin :puke:

Don't really like the older ones either, but the new ones are worse. I prefer boxy vehicles... no surprise I ended up with an XJ!

I towed my 21' ski nautique with my 1998 Ford Explorer 5.0 V8 AWD every weekend during the summer. I ended up having to install air bags in the rear of the explorer to help when I had a full load of friends and gear in the suv. I would recommend a newer 2003 - 2005 Ford Explorer V8 or even the V6. My father had a 2000 Ford Explorer V6 Limited and it handled the boat just fine

Back