• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Steering Box Brace

You may still need a tube type brace to actually stop the box from wiggling.

The cracks along the bottom are the reason I add the bottom plate in my kit. When the bottom plate is bolted, and welded to the side plate, it adds tremendous amounts of structure to that area of the unibody. No other company offers the bottom plate, but I feel it Is a crucial part.

the whole frame rail can still fail with a brace on the bottom and on the inside/outside of the steering box portion of the frame rail.

The only solution to prevent the inevitable issues is to plate the inside, outside and underside of the forward portion of the frame rails all the way down to the lower framerails

The track bar frame side bracket is always working the opposite direction of the steering gear while turning and the chassis will fail eventually once people install the JKS brackets (or similar)

Last edited:
the whole frame rail can still fail with a brace on the bottom and on the inside/outside of the steering box portion of the frame rail.

The only solution to prevent the inevitable issues is to plate the inside, outside and underside of the forward portion of the frame rails.

The track bar frame side bracket is always working the opposite direction of the steering gear while turning and the chassis will fail eventually once people install the JKS brackets (or similar)

Pretty much exactly.

not yet...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=606183262755329&set=p.606183262755329&type=1

968889_606183262755329_197724068_n.jpg

...but soon. Hopefully Tim and the LII dudes get it going sooner than later.

I saw something similar to this on ebay, except it was for a zj

Scrap the rig and buy a JK ......done.

Not realistic? OK, time to plate the inner, outer and under unirail area.

Curious, are you currently running a trackbar bracket brace, steering box brace?

Last edited:
Scrap the rig and buy a JK......done.

Curious, are you currently running a trackbar bracket brace, steering box brace?

LJ Rubicon is a better setup......just sayin'

How would you guys proceed in my situation?

97, Durango Gear, 31s, C-rok inner brace + C-rok winch bumper.

steeringBox_frameCracks.jpg

steeringBox_frameCracks_noFlash.jpg

This is the exact reason I include the bottom plate in my kit.
I suggest you weld the cracks, then plate over the top.

Scrap the rig and buy a JK ......done.

Ha-ha thanks! yeah, that's what my wife says.. ..although she hates the circular door handles and a/c vents (so do I...)

Thanks for your help/discussion. I don't have a trackbar bracket brace or steering box brace. I actually don't know anything about trackbar bracket braces, do you have any info off hand (I can search of course..) But I was specifically searching for info about the steering box braces and if they are actually a solution to this problem, that's how I found this thread. I thought at minimum, I would need to drill out the ends of those cracks and weld them up, and potentially get a steering box brace if it would indeed help. I've seen some guys making their own lately.

http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245952749&postcount=584
http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245974873&postcount=247

I don't do anything too drastic with this Jeep and have relatively small tires. Most of my off-road is on decommissioned forest service roads or logging roads to get me closer to my mountaineering/alpine climbing objectives. So I was surprised to see this damage!

this is what I run, I also made it myself.
I also sell them on ebay

Just picked up one of these steering kits and I have to say I am impressed with it. The thought and time put into it makes well worth the cost. The plates are cut out very nice and clean. I'll throw some pics up after I get all installed!
Filthy Addictions Off Road did there homework when making this kit.

Correct assumption. I have the universal Antirock on my rig, installed prior to the XJ specific version, so I'm toying with the idea of just ordering the bearing block and nut and fabbing my own brace, using the anti-rock crosstube as the base.

Back