• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Rust treatment product?

POR-15 Is the best rust preventer have used.. I have it all over my rig and its holding up well ..

Nick

I use a product called Jasco prep and primer, then ACE's rust tough primer, then the rust tough top coat. We don't have salt in the northwest but a lot of water, this combination seems to work. This is the same process I use on commercial aircraft. Aesthetics aside, the purpose of the paint is to protect the conversion coating.

I also use a weld through primer when I weld overlapping pieces of metal. A lot of the rust I have seen in the NW originates from where the water gets trapped by the paint.

huge advocat of POR-15 but before they came on the scene and were well known, this stuff was AWESOME: www.poxycoat.com

I used this on a bumper for an 89XJ that I sold and to this day there is no rust on it (still see the owner around town) and my dad and I painted some farm equipement (bobcat bucket and wagons). Only thing back then was it was only available in gloss or clear with a grit. Other than that it was awesome.

In fact the state of pennsylvania, new york and massachusetts contracted this company to supply all of the paint for state salt trucks. Also, the us navy used it as a coating on ships due to salt water exposure.

They had done a 15 yr test on the product where they continually exposed the surface to salt water, sun and extreme conditions and found no/minimal rust.

It's not a rust remover but I use an undercoating product here in salttastic NH that is lanolin based. Works great and is nontoxic nonpolluting (we have a well). Staying ahead of rust is really the only way to go. Once tinworm starts popping up on your rig the countdown is started and the best you can do is slow it down.

Another aid to reduce rust is to attach a few zinc anodes to the jeep, underside and out of sight. After every patrol we would go through the superstructure on the sub [the part of the sub you see is actually free flooding, the pressure hull is about 4ft inside that], replacing anodes as needed, some fall off, some 'give up the way they are supposed to being sacrificial.

Back