• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Power Steering Box.....AGR or PSC or other?

FiveNdime

NAXJA Forum User
I think my steering box is failing, so I am in the market for a good aftermarket box. I'm looking into the AGR and PSC models but dang there expensive. I know that with these things you get what you pay for and that's quality but I was wondering is there any other good aftermarket boxes out there that are under 350 bucks or so?

Also, reason for me thinking the box is bad is that its seizing up on me while turning. Say if I'm in the parking lot and I turn the wheel it simply wont turn until I start moving. I flushed the fluid thinking it could be dirty and that didn't help one bit. Its also a pain in the butt to drive on the trials since it does it aired up let alone aired down. Feel free to let me know if it could be another issue. The pump is not making noise either.

My rig has had an AGR in it for about 8 years now, using a stock pump (96). Works great for 37s in all terrain. I decided that if my pump ever goes out I'll upgrade it, but no issues so far.

You're welcome to come check it out if you like. I'd be happy to start the Jeep up and show you how easy it runs the tires.

I can tell you my PSC stuff is top notch and the service is excellent.
I have no experience with AGR.

I'm in the market for a new box I was just going to go with a napa stock replacement. I do however love over kill and for about twice the price the PSC box is looking at me hmm....

What about a FSJ or Durango steering box? They'd be somewhat cheaper.

What about a FSJ or Durango steering box? They'd be somewhat cheaper.

Yeah I looked at those but I always look at things this way. Why go through the hassle of replacing something because its a tad cheaper then doing it the right way and have a heck of a lot better part. If I needed to get by or strapped for cash I could definitely see doing the durango box but Im looking for top of the line boxes. I dont want to go hydro assist as I think its pointless with 35's and what kind of wheeling I do, as well as street driving.

Thanks for all the info so far guys!

Durango or FSJ aren't "wrong", but they do allow you to pick up a replacement quickly and easily. You can pick up a junk yard box to use for a core return when you buy a new box from the store. :)

I have a J20 box coming this week. I ordered it from Rock Auto for $134.

Durango or FSJ aren't "wrong", but they do allow you to pick up a replacement quickly and easily. You can pick up a junk yard box to use for a core return when you buy a new box from the store. :)
Didn't say it was wrong. Its to weak so thats not an option which is why I titled the thread "Best" power steering box. I have done the searching and research on the Durango and FSJ box already. Thanks for your input though.

Anyone else have any good info or stories about the high end boxes?

Back