• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best Method to clean metal shavings off arrow magnets

beer_goggles_009

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
After a bunch of test fitting and grinding my arrow magnets are covered in metal shavings, what special methods have you used to remove the shavings.

Thanks,

jim

I wear a pair of ratty pants and wipe them all to one spot, then remove as much as I can. After that I either wipe them into the gap between the metal pieces, or onto whichever edge I'm not presently using.

Try putting them in ziploc baggies next time, as long as you use decently strong ones (freezer bags work good for a while) you can simply wipe the dust away from the opening, then take the magnet out of the bag and they will all drop off.

I use an old wire brush to kind of sweep the dust off the magnet. It seems to work decently. If the brush becomes magnetized hit the back of it on something to release the iron dust.

paper towel and use it like a glove.

magnets shaped like an arrow that are used to position metal pieces prior to welding. If you want a picture look up "welding magnets" on google.

Thanks guys, I think I am going to try a brass brush.

jim

duct tape

Brush it off, compressed air and blow it off, duct tape

X2. I generally take 'em outside and hit 'em with the air hose.

The ziploc baggie idea initially seems like a good one..... until the welding heat gets to 'em and then you're left with a plastic encased arrow magnet.....:D

magnets shaped like an arrow that are used to position metal pieces prior to welding. If you want a picture look up "welding magnets" on google.

Thanks guys, I think I am going to try a brass brush.

jim

ok, now i get it. yes i have seen the arrow shaped ones. mine are not shaped like that, instead they are basically a triangle with the corners cut off. but mine are REALLY old. i remember cheap ones came out (harbor freight stuff) that had that arrow style to them. anyhow, to clean mine, i just blast them with the air nozzle. any little bit left stuck, normally isn't enough to cause an issue.

X2. I generally take 'em outside and hit 'em with the air hose.

The ziploc baggie idea initially seems like a good one..... until the welding heat gets to 'em and then you're left with a plastic encased arrow magnet.....:D
yeah, I mostly use them just to tack stuff together and cut things to size. By the time I am really welding, I've either removed the magnets or removed the baggies and blown all the grinding dust away. Welding near the baggies would make for an interesting evening :flame:

I just wipe it off but what most the stuff I am doing isn't 'SO' sensitive that a litte dust effects it.

Warm water works great for me. Just dont do it in the wifes stainless steel sink...

~ James

Dishwasher works well, too. Just be prepared for the wrath of ...!!

I keep telling one of the guys here (who insists on perfection) I'm going to put them on our demagnetizing machine. :listenmus

Back