• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Long Range Lights?

That's neat... and cute. Now come out to barstow race and watch a rock get chunked into one from the competitor in front of you after those lights have been on your shit for a while. ;)

Do what you want, just giving my $.02

That is what sponsors are for when you're racing. :twak:

:D:D:D

6 KC'S are worth more than an entire jeep? must not be a very good jeep

Im with jim, youtube videos dont impress me. Im sure their high end stuff is great (a lot of tt's use them) but their cheaper stuff looks cheap. and how much are the lightforce HID conversions? more than the $80 it'd take to mod 2 hella 4000's? im sure.

Im with jim, youtube videos dont impress me. Im sure their high end stuff is great (a lot of tt's use them) but their cheaper stuff looks cheap. and how much are the lightforce HID conversions? more than the $80 it'd take to mod 2 hella 4000's? im sure.

Apples and oranges. ;)

Im sure their high end stuff is great (a lot of tt's use them) but their cheaper stuff looks cheap. and how much are the lightforce HID conversions? more than the $80 it'd take to mod 2 hella 4000's? im sure.

They actually don't have any cheap stuff. All their stuff is of the same quality, just different sizes and bulb types (HID vs. Halogen). They are the only company I have seen that is constantly advancing their tech. For example, they started out with snorkel type setup to make their lights 100% water proof.. then they went with a gortex type gasket and eliminated the snorkel lines. Plus their tech support is great. While they don't have a lifetime warranty they replaced one of my housings 6 years after I purchased them.

Yes they have plastic housings, but that is to make them light and durable.. plus they don't rust. You aren't stuck with a single beam pattern, beam width or light color either. Pretty much superior to everything else that has been mentioned here.

I know they're not the best but they've been reliable and chuck a sweet beam and that's my pair of KC Daylighters. With the KC's, high beams and some fogs you can see plenty. I don't do too much night wheeling.
With all those (6) KC; cpolish24, whatcha got for an alternator?
When's it hit the trail? Shame to get it dirty or dinged, that's the showroom XJ right there. -B

You wont be able to find a better set-up (price wise) for long range than a pair of Hella 4000 pencil beams converted to HID. I have this, along with a pair of driving pattern 4000's and the light output is stupid bright. My lights are good for almost a mile in front of you. If you need more light than that, you should consider only driving durig the daytime. If you want a quality beam, you gotta have a quality reflector and housing.

(2) Hella 4000 pencil beams, $200 bucks
HID kit, $60 bucks.

Done.

~James

What would be the best setup for mid/short range HID setup? Northeast Ohio isnt flat enough to justify running pencils, and about 80% of the wheeling I do seems to take place at night. I have a pair of lightforce 170s that I thought of converting, but the HID kit is pretty expensive.

i believe the 170s use an h1 or h3 bulb, I think you could just buy a cheap HID h1 or h3 Kit on ebay for $50-70 and adapt them

i believe the 170s use an h1 or h3 bulb, I think you could just buy a cheap HID h1 or h3 Kit on ebay for $50-70 and adapt them

That thought never came to my mind. Any other thoughts? Ill have to look into it.

Edit: it appears to be a special bulb, which is why their kit is so expensive I would assume. Maybe I will sell them and convert some hellas or similar... or go buy the cheapo Kragen HIDs.

Lightforces' website says the 170 takes an H1. However, my 170 takes an Osram Xenophot bulb. Maybe they changed it? I know a H1 would not fit in my lights.

Xenophot bulb:
G4_100.gif

I was talking about lights that were 1.2K a pop.

http://www.kchilites.com/6x9-Black-HIDbrLong-Range-System-261-P431C38.aspx

I dont know what makes these so expensive, but I paid 4500 for my XJ, these would be about 75% of the cost for 3 pairs of them...

They actually don't have any cheap stuff. All their stuff is of the same quality, just different sizes and bulb types (HID vs. Halogen). They are the only company I have seen that is constantly advancing their tech. For example, they started out with snorkel type setup to make their lights 100% water proof.. then they went with a gortex type gasket and eliminated the snorkel lines. Plus their tech support is great. While they don't have a lifetime warranty they replaced one of my housings 6 years after I purchased them.

Yes they have plastic housings, but that is to make them light and durable.. plus they don't rust. You aren't stuck with a single beam pattern, beam width or light color either. Pretty much superior to everything else that has been mentioned here.

Very true, they are very popular over here and we have some of if not the worst roads on the planet and some are considered highways and these lights hold up to 1000's & 1000's of kilometres of heavily corrugated roads with out any dramas. I haven't heard of anybody having any dramas with these lights plus they use less power than regular halogen lights.
I don't have any yet but I will be fitting a pair of 170's for my Xj at some stage....

Back