• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bent, please help w/ decision.

Which tire should i go with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been trying to make a tire decision for a while now, spent about 2 hours per night for the past 2 weeks searching for info on here and i've narrowed it down between the trxus or the bighorn. I really dont know what to do...i have the trxus in 31 now, getting a 33x12.5 for the new RE5.5 lift i just did. Its mostly on road, love driving in the snow but when i go offroad there are hill climbs mud ruts, mud pits, rocks etc etc. So far i like the trxus but for some reason it looks like the bighorn might do better in the mud. So in short...i'm bent between the two and would appreciate some opinions from the pro's! Thanks for any suggestions or votes.

P.S...sorry this is in the non-tech, couldnt figure out how to make a poll in modified tech.

Can't complain about my Bighorns.

I'm running BF Goodrich 35s, but I'm going to Bighorns. Maxxis are supposed to be pretty good. I'm going to sipe the center lugs though. They look real nice.
My BFG have had problems with sidewall strength and I have one that loses air with out being able to track down where it is leaking from.

vetteboy said:
I had the 33" trxus and loved them. Best all-around tire IMO.

agreed i run the 31's and love them for the price over big horns, they have alot more tread on the sidewall than big horns too.

I bought the TrXus MT's from 4WheelOnline.com. I couldn't get them to balance well, so I sent them back under warranty. (31x10.50R15)

I decided to go for the Dunlop Radial Rover MT's (30x9.50R15) from TireRack, and I think it's the best decision I ever made. They ride great on road, eat snow for dinner, and are quieter than the TrXus were (unbalanced).

My Radial Rover R/V's (discontinued) lasted 65,000 miles no problemo, so I think that the MT's will have some good tread life...

NJ95JeepXJ said:
I bought the TrXus MT's from 4WheelOnline.com. I couldn't get them to balance well, so I sent them back under warranty. (31x10.50R15)

I decided to go for the Dunlop Radial Rover MT's (30x9.50R15) from TireRack, and I think it's the best decision I ever made. They ride great on road, eat snow for dinner, and are quieter than the TrXus were (unbalanced).

My Radial Rover R/V's (discontinued) lasted 65,000 miles no problemo, so I think that the MT's will have some good tread life...
Agreed. I love my dunlops. They are cheap, last a looong time, and I havent had any problems with tire related traction. My only complaint is lack of sidewall tread, there have been a couple times i know I could have walked up something if the sidewalls had some kind of lug on them but other than that they have been great!

have you considered baja claws i know a few people who have them and they love them ive got BFG M/T'S and i love them but all in all its up to you. GL

texassteel said:
have you considered baja claws i know a few people who have them and they love them ive got BFG M/T'S and i love them but all in all its up to you. GL

X10, eventhough i already voted for TrXus MT, i love my baja claws. they last longs and a very good all around tire

i considered the claws, but only reason i didnt list them in the poll is b/c in my searches i've been doing over the past few weeks, i found a lot of posts w/ guys complaining about uneven wearing and wearing very fast. your the first one that ive read that said they last long. What kinda mileage is on your set now? Thanks for the replies. keep the votes coming!

I also was in the tire dilemma and researched just about all the m/t's on the market. I was looking for 31's on a DD and weighed the pros and cons of most of the tires. -These are only offered as large as a 32" tire by way of a metric 16" wheel though-I decided to go the unconventional route and bought my tires from Pep Boys- yes, Pep Boys. (Definity Damota M/T) I got the $99 per tire with a $50 rebate. My brother got his two weeks after I got mine and his were buy 3 get one free. They have siping, albeit on per treadblock, but they are siped. They have great road manners, no issues in snow/slush, and no balancing issues. The best part of all is that they now have a 40K mile warranty and offer the road hazard protection. Granted, they are a pro-rated plan, but at the price, how can you argue. Cooper makes the tire for Pep Boys and the sidewall and outer tread blocks are that of the new STT's. I absolutely could not be happier with my decision, these tires are pretty badass, and then you throw in the price and a mileage warranty and I'm happy.
definity-mt_lg.jpg

Last edited:
Go bias ply or go home

best88xj said:
Just thought I would put in my 2 cents. The new tires I have are Cooper stt's, love these tires.

I've been doing much searching, originally I was going to go w/BFG At KO and the more I looked these Cooper STT'S struck me as very handsome.

So I started searching those and found that some people were saying that there quieter than the BFG's, now I don't necessarilly belive that but they must be comprable. Not only that but they must do 10X better offroad and they wear, so I hear, close to as good.

the stt is built like the toyo mt strong an long wearing. you would be happy with them. i am. in a 33 like mine they have a 6 ply tread and 3 ply sidewall.

Back