• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt tensor bolt on steering pump

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
Wow. It's been a heck of a long time since I've posted here.

I've got a simple question that I hope one of you guys can help me with. Recently, while tightening the belt on my 94 [XJ] I found myself cursing the jeep gods once again. The bolt that rotates the steering pump pulley broke off in the "nut-receptacle-thing" that it threads into.

I believe I can remove the portion of the bolt that is still threaded in [the bolt broke off right at the opening of the nut] But I need to find myself a new bolt. The one used is a "semi" lag bolt, the smooth portion only extends about a centimeter [so that is spins neatly to push/pull the pulley] and I believe that it is 10mm thread, but I can't be sure. Would a 10mm bolt of comprable length work, or is the bolt somehow specific. That is, do I have to order a new one, or will a replacement hardware store bolt suffice?

Thanks for the help guys.
Travis

It's a "fully-threaded" screw about 3-1/2" to 4" long. The early ones (RENIX) are 5/16"-18, and the later ones (early HO) are M8-1.25.

Since it's so long and fully-threaded, you're looking at a fastener house or OEMR for this one. It would be possible to weld a nut onto a section of threaded rod of the correct pitch and size, but you'd have to clean up the weldment (so it would turn easily,) recoat the cut end somehow (unless you use CRES rod - or it will rust away from the inside out,) and you'll need to make the "nut end" fairly clean so you can still get a socket on it easily.

Back