• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beginner welding question

stockli

NAXJA Forum User
I am just learning how to weld and my experience so far has been a little stick and a tiny amount of MIG on a cheap harbor freight welder. I was able to pick up a complete welding rig including a Lincoln Idealarc 250 ac/dc, TIG torches, acetylene cutting torches and bottles, argon/co2 gas bottle and a bunch of other cool stuff for $200!

Now I understand the stuff I have is way too much for me at this point but do you experienced welders feel that this would be a good rig to really learn on? I would like to learn stick pretty well then move on to TIG as this unit is capable of TIG with some of the other items I got with it.

Im excited to start learning but its a little intimidating because this fat bastard weights in at a svelt 300+ lbs lol. Im used to a 30# buzz box lol.

Thanks!

Wow, good score!
I wouldn't hesitate using the TIG setup.
The local community collage has classes in welding, you may want to start there.
If not, next thing on your list should be plenty of scrap plate/sheet metal.
It takes a little practice to get weld rod dab and startup techniques down, that's
why you will need pleanty of practice metal around. 3"x8" rectangles works well for
practice.

as mentioned youll need to practice. I have experience with stick welding and it isnt too difficult the hardest part i found was making sure the welder is set properly and your using the right welding rod. There are many types out there for all different applications. some for dirty steel with light corrosion, although youll always get the best weld with clean metal. and with stick welding its typically used for thick steel 1/4" or thicker. I use the stick welder alot at my job and its typically used for structural welding. I beams whatnot. TIG is a different story and takes much more practice and a real steady hand. I wish i had those for personal use so i could get going with building bumpers and whatnot

Also if stick welding make sure you have an auto tinting mask. It is a must and if not you will lay awake at night wishing you had. The flash burn is horrible.

Once I get the cart picked up, would you guys mind taking a look at a few pics to help me sort out what a few things are?

The cart has a giant radiator on the top of it and a box plumbed into the radiator. The guy that I purchased this from was a welder for a living and according to his brother, he was probably not finished putting together this rig before he passed. Im hoping the black box is the high frequency starter for TIG but Im not sure. Like I said the cart was loaded with electrodes and cables including a few extra TIG torches that have been used. I hope the starter is on there!

I will look to see what the local JC offers and may well sign up for a class or two.

if it's a radiator with some things plumed to it, it's more than likely a water cooling system for the tig. stick welding has it's place for things, but for most welding needs of the typical offroader mig is the way to go.

but if you really want to learn stick go for it. it's a good skill to have. but you don't need an auto darkening hood. if you are just learning go buy the cheap fixed shade. a ten will be fine but it it's too bright pick up an 11 shade. they are cheap and easily replaced.

auto dark hoods have their place but you will become a better welder if you learn with a fixed shade.

aint is right (?), just get a fixed shade and learn to flip it down. Old school, yes...
Try to find product manual for the machine you have. You can probably find it on Lincoln's web site.
Even if it costs you $50, it's well worth having

Fit up, fit up, fit up.

Make sure your materials are very clean before you start welding.

Don't get rushed, TIG is a slow process.

Thanks for the help.

Im looking forward to getting this welder going! Ill let you know how it goes.

If I was in your shoes, Id keep the oxy/act torches & the mix bottle and sell the rest for a little profit. Use the money to go out and buy a good brand name MIG welder (Lincoln, Miller, Hobart). Old machines, while still OK by todays standards, are gaint machines. Also, setting up TIG on an older machine is a pain in the ass and not always the best. I scored a sweet Miller XMT300 awhile back, but I ended up selling it for those reasons. It doesnt have all the cool features that a dedicated TIG machine has like HF start, pre/post flow stuff, etc. If youre just started out welding, a MIG is great to learn quickly and do almost anything you need. I bought myself Miller 180 w/autoset a couple of years ago when they first came out. Ive done everything for sheetmetal fenders to burning the truss on my HP60 without issue.

that there is some good advice/\

you could probably sell just the idealarc for more than what you paid for everything. that would be a good chunk of money for a nice little power mig 180c or a power mig 216. just depends on how your electircity is hooked up.

What would be the best set up I could run on 110?

It would be nice not to run wires for the welder.

Any decent MIG set ups I can run on 110?

When it comes to mig welders, always buy the biggest one you can afford. If you are limited to 110vac, get a dual voltage one. Someday you will have 220 and it makes welding thicker mat'l much faster.

If you are limited to 110vac, get a dual voltage one. Someday you will have 220 and it makes welding thicker mat'l much faster.

^this.

Look into the Miller 211MVP. It can be plugged into 110 or 220 outlets. Great welder, and once on 220, will weld damn near anything you ever need.

I have the Miller 211 and did exactly what these guys are saying.

Started off learning on 110 for a few months.

Then had the electrician run a 220 plug.

The difference from 110-220 is pretty amazing. I've welding everything from 20-22ga sheetmetal to 1" plate (heavily beveled d-ring tabs) without issue.

Hands down best investment I've made so far :thumbup:

Time to start saving

That Miller is much $

the dual inputs are a decent machine. and if you can afford one i'd say go for it. i'm a lincoln electric guy so i would suggest the power mig 180 dual k3018-1.

you can weld anything that you will need to with the 110v welder. it will just take longer and you have to prep and preheat thicker material. i've welded everything on my current build with my 110v pro mig 140 (minus the cage, used a 220v miller at my buddy's shop when we made it)

Don't forget the Hobart series of welders, made by Miller but use aluminum windings, not copper. My 187 does just fine on material up to 1/4", then I have to slow down and double pass or preheat material.

Plus for the price of a Miller of the same specifications, I was fully set up, including a new tank of gas.

When it comes to mig welders, always buy the biggest one you can afford. If you are limited to 110vac, get a dual voltage one. Someday you will have 220 and it makes welding thicker mat'l much faster.

I bought the Lincoln 140C. I don't have 220 here, and likely won't while I am here. I have seen it used once since I purchased it like 2 years ago. Now that I have seen it used, I plan to have a few welding buddies help me learn some ropes with it. I agree with buy as much as you can afford. If I knew that Lincoln was coming out with the 180D(dual 110/220), I would have gotten that. I spent some $$ on the Lincoln, but it was waaayy worth every penny, and I can't wait to start using it this spring on the various trucks that I have needing sheet metal work done. Buy what you can afford, and if you can get one of the dual voltage ones, get it. I agree that is the best investment you'll make.

Jeff

Back