• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bedlining the interior, whos done it?

I did a gallon of herculiner after I cheaped out on the crap duplicolor stuff (not the new stuff)
Compared to not having carpet, the herculiner is wonderfull.
I didn't drive my jeep much when I first got it (jumped into the rust repair+bedliner) to remember what it sounded like but I drove a 96 with carpet on 35x13.50s recently and the road noise wasn't much quieter. Deffinatly heard the tires more than my 31 bfg mud terrains. The 35s are toyo mud countrys I think.
Overall the road noise dosn't seem to be the problem it's the engine and whatever howling noise my ford 8.8 is making when under throttle. (Mainly the howling noise) which hopefully goes away when I swap the lsd and set the gear tolerences.
For heat it was bad. Though there is a solution, I got the passenger side heat sheild (6ft double layer aluminum pan) off a grand cherokee which I ran round head sheet metal screws through the floor to secure the heat sheild with the sheet metal nuts from the grand just like the factory.
Then I did a similair for the tranny hump with smaller screws and some sheets of woven heat sheild fabric stuff ($50) which I pushed onto the screws and recently got some nut like things to secure it better.

So with that you can't feel exaust heat what so ever (muffler mounted right behind t case) and the tranny hump gets "warm" on a hot day but I still need to put the fasteners on cause it hangs down sometimes.

I'm trying to make my xj as comfortable as possible for myself, to show other people, and cause my dad drives it sometimes, so my standards a pretty high for the flooring.
So theres more sound insulation to be done (not just the floor) which shows the bedlined floor isn't the only source of noise.
Though i may look at doing sectioned carpet eventually anyway but if so thats the last thing I'll being addressing.

Heres the only picture I have of it with the full interior lol. 2 coats went on really thick+we kept going over it with the roller to create the air gap like coating to maximize the thinkness. Though it still smoothed out real nice and think to give it a smooth texture unlike the truck beds I've seen it in.
downsize-19.jpg

For heat it was bad. Though there is a solution, I got the passenger side heat sheild (6ft double layer aluminum pan) off a grand cherokee which I ran round head sheet metal screws through the floor to secure the heat sheild with the sheet metal nuts from the grand just like the factory.

does that go under the jeep

There are thermal and sound dampening roll-on liners that you can buy. Secondskinaudio.com is one of the better sites. They have stuff that is made with ceramic in it that reflects and dissapates heat. They also make liners designed to reduce noise and vibration. I have heard of people using the heat stuff on the underside and the sound dampening stuff on the inside with great results. That is what I eventually plan to do.

That's what I've done and I love it BUT here's couple comments: it still is noiser then with a carpet, it is still warmer then with a carpet but it's better then without the heat/noise deadener....

Super mud, can you post pics of your heat shield?

I cant wear shorts and drive my jeep on a hot day, the tunnel gets way too warm

Back