• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Basic Vehicle and Trail Preparedness checklist

well damn i dont have really any of those extra parts. i guess it's a good thing i tow my rig huh...... i guess i should start my spare part collection, starting with shafts.

"Tow strap with NO hooks" Why no hooks?

because if something lets loose when your pulling the the hooks become flying deadly missiles. loops and a shackle tend not to slip apart nearly as easy

Sorta, but the main reason is when you get those hooks on tow straps they tend to be cheap and not meant for the dynamic forces that we will most certainly be using them for. Furthermore most of the straps that come with the hooks already on them are not meant for jerking or yanking, they are for flat towing or a static load. Once you add dynamic forces you open up a whole new can of worms dealing with minimum breaking strengths (MBS) and working load limits (WLL).

Our Master-Pull shackles have a breaking strength of 62,000 lbs which gives you a 4:1 WLL of 15,500 lbs or nearly 3 times the weight of a trail ready XJ. This is important if you are performing recoveries where a dynamic rope is used (AKA a Super Yanker) where the pulling forces on a vehicle grow exponentially once you begin to yank on a vehicle.

Shackles: http://www.masterpull.com/item.cfm?itemid=47145
Super Yanker Tow Ropes: http://www.masterpull.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=425

So in summary, hooks are bad, quality shackles and recovery gear that is rated much higher then the weight of your vehicle are very good.

-Alex

Sorta, but the main reason is ....Yada....Yada....Yada.... in summary, hooks are bad, quality shackles and recovery gear that is rated much higher then the weight of your vehicle are very good.

-Alex

Alex,
It reads like you must be getting something out of school and work :)

Very well said.
Michael

Michael this is really good work. x2 on carrying a spare fuel pump ask me how I know. :) There is a Schucks only 45 miles from Whistling Jacks btw. For newbies I think this is a list people have developed through experience and is well worth considering.

Of course there are basic things you should never go out into the woods without.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Essentials

Regarding unplanned overnight trips, the only thing missing from 10 essentials is something to light a fire with. Granted that if you cannot light a fire with an XJ you should not probably be wheeling but a lighter or matches is good.

First pharagraph of this thread:

This is intended to be a useful document for people to use to help themselves be prepared for trail rides. It is not intended to be a fully comprehensive list, and it is not intended to mean that you need all of these items to participate in an event. It is only meant to help provide some ideas, conversation and the start to a checklist of items for people to consider while preparing for and participating in an event, this is generic on purpose. It also includes information that should be considered for a trail leader or other more senior members of an event.

Some people come WAY under prepared. Some people come WAY overprepared. This list is not a mandatory list, however it is probably something you should at least think about and consider what you would do if "X" happened or if "Y" stopped working or broke in a remote location.

Michael

Back