• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Basic Vehicle and Trail Preparedness checklist

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
As I promissed I would put together a basic checklist for Noobfest at Walker Valley. This is intended to be a useful document for people to use to help themselves be prepared for trail rides. It is not intended to be a fully comprehensive list, and it is not intended to mean that you need all of these items to participate in an event. It is only meant to help provide some ideas, conversation and the start to a checklist of items for people to consider while preparing for and participating in an event, this is generic on purpose. It also includes information that should be considered for a trail leader or other more senior members of an event.

Please provide comments, ideas, discussion so that I can make any changes, updates, etc to this before we *sticky* it for reference for people.

BASIC VEHICLE AND TRAIL PREPAREDNESS CHECKLIST

Pre Event Planning
□ Know where you are going (Maps, Trail information, GPS waypoints, What to expect)
□ Know what time you are starting and plan to be done (Meeting time and Leaving time)
□ Know who is going and have contact information for each of them (If they are not at the meeting place and time then you can contact them to make sure they are ok)
□ Make sure someone who is not going knows your plans and who will be with you so they can contact the appropriate support network if you do not make it back as planned
□ Have a support network for someone at home to contact incase you don’t return (Friends, Family, Club members, Search and Rescue, 911, etc)

Event Coordination
□ Trail leader is in charge.
□ Expectations of communication between the group for each participant (CB Channel, Communication between first vehicle and last vehicle and possibly middle vehicle in larger groups, Hand held radios, Other?)
□ Expectation of group driving (waiting at the top or bottom of a hill till the person in front of you has safely completed the obstacle, keeping the person behind you in sight at all times, Good communication thru-out the group to keep everyone aware of what is going on)
□ Vehicle line up (keeping winches, CB’s, better/less equipped vehicles, trail knowledge, spread out through the group to best assist the group thru issues)
□ Group understanding of the trail (know what to expect, is each participant prepared, do you all have the same objective, will you be stopping at each obstacle for photos, who wants to be spotted and who doesn’t, who is most concerned about body damage and do their expectation align with the trail, etc)
□ Aired down to an appropriate level for the trail (if you are not sure, check what others are airing down to and why)
□ If you are unsure of anything, check with the trail leader, they are there to assist the group to the best of the groups ability
□ Group understanding of when/where for lunch and when/where to finish trail

Pre Event Vehicle Preparedness
□ All fluid levels checked
□ All lug nuts torqued
□ Tire pressure checked including spare tire
□ Tools packed
□ Spare parts packed
□ First Aid kid packed
□ Food packed
□ Spare clothes packed
□ All items packed and secured safely
□ No check engine lights or other items of concern
□ Safe tow points front and rear

Vehicle Checklist
□ Food (plenty of food for trip and extra)
□ Water (plenty of drinking water)
□ Clothes (1 full change of clothes, water proofs, gloves, boots, ?)
□ Maps, GPS, Information related to the area traveling
□ Camping gear for trip
□ All gear packed and secured safely

Recovery Gear
□ Work Gloves
□ Leather Gloves
□ Jumper Cables
□ Flash Light (preferably two)
□ High Lift jack
□ Come along
□ Tow strap with NO hooks (preferably two different lengths)
□ Tree strap
□ Two shackles (preferably 4)
□ Shovel
□ Axe, saw, hatchet
□ Snatch block (if you have a winch)
□ Air source, tire gauge, patch kit, fix a flat, plug kit

Spare Parts
□ Tool box with all the tools necessary to replace all of the below
□ Enough oil for a complete oil change (oil filter?)
□ PS fluid (1 quart)
□ Brake fluid (1 bottle)
□ Gear oil (3 qts)
□ Water (1 gal)
□ Serpentine belt and Idler pulley
□ Mechanical fan clutch
□ Spare u-joints for front/rear DS and axle shafts
□ Spare rear driveline
□ Spare steering with Tie Rod Ends
□ Spare front axle shafts with hubs
□ Spare rear axle shafts
□ Spare alternator
□ Ignition coil, cap, rotor, plugs, leads
□ Spare soft brake line
□ Spare nuts, bolts

Fire Extinguisher

Nice list! Notice how he says "Secured safely" a toolbox can kill in a roll over.

thats a little moar than what i take on a day trip haha, but definatly a must for any distance or overnighters
id add shop rags and an orange garbage bag or 3

□ All lug nuts torqued

I lol'ed at this. :D
Seriously, good stuff though Michael and thanks for making a list!

And in regards to securing thing, I really wish there was a picture of my cargo area after my flop. I had everything strapped to my 5 eye-bolts I added in the cargo area including an "X" strap set-up over the top of everything, and nearly every part of my cargo area was still (half way) touching the floor. The few small items that were loose came all the way to the passenger seat in under a second, however. I see a lot of loose cargo areas when I go wheeling, and I can't help but feel like this needs to be something people keep an eye on and secure.

~Scott

P.S. No hard feelings man, I had fun rallying the roads that night. Oh, and I found out what my electrical issue was... :thumbup: (?)

Last edited:
good shit Micheal !!!!

Here are a cpl suggestions to add....

Lug wrench / 4 way
at least 4 extra lug nuts
something to write with and on (sharpi and scratch paper)
Ratchet strap

thats a little moar than what i take on a day trip haha, but definatly a must for any distance or overnighters

It's interesting you say that...because more than a few people over history end up on distance/overnighter trips when they initially set out on day trips.

Just sayin, is all...

It's interesting you say that...because more than a few people over history end up on distance/overnighter trips when they initially set out on day trips.

Just sayin, is all...

You're full of it the doorless topless jeep guy obviously planned on staying overnight. :D

You should add a jack to the list as well. I also like to carry a block of wood too.

I keep everything in my Jeep all the time. If you wheel your rig, things get stressed and can break at any time.

Good comments guys.
Keep them coming.
This is exactly the kind of conversation I want to start.

I will add many of the items mentioned above back on the list, several of them I intentially excluded when I first wrote it but am re-considering.

Thanks,
Michael

PS. I wasn't planning on putting a complete list together for tools. I think it is important for people to learn this for themselves over time and I don't feel like going through all of them!!

I always like to take 10 minutes before a trip, and go over all the suspension bolts to make sure nothings come loose. Post inspection after a run is also just as important in my opinion, especially if it's a daily driver. Go over all suspension bolts, check your steering, check your fluids, and grease your joints.

I also carry a small tarp to lay on, or give out to people to lay on when working on a vehicle. It really comes in handy on the wet days.

That's a very thorough list. I can honestly say I don't carry everything on it, but it's a great starting point to adjust to your own needs. Obviously different setups require different tools and spare parts.

I think this will probably get posted again closer to NWF. Thanks for taking the time to make this Michael.

Michael thanks for putting this list together, it is important for a group to have all of these items, as well as an individual to have as many as possible.

We have learned in the past few NWF that a cohesive group that can work together and donate parts to others rigs is more important then a bunch of guys wheeling on their own.

-Alex

Good stuff, as usual Michael. Tools that you carry are of course geared around your particular rig, but some basics that everyone ought to carry include the following:

Hammer
Large punch/alignment tool
1/2", 3/8", 1/4" racket
Extensions for above, 4" and 8-10"
Socket sets for the above, regular and deep well, 1/4" to 1"
Socket sets for same, regular and deep well, metric, 10mm to 24mm
Screwdrivers, flat and phillips, large and small tip, including a stubby of each
Combination wrenches, 1/4" to 7/8", Metric 8mm to 18mm
Allen wrenches, full set both standard and metric
Torx bits, full set
Adjustable wrench, up to 1 1/2"
Pry bar, at least 18"
Vice-grips, large and small
Channel locks and slip-joint pliers

That is just a basic set, include any odd-ball sockets particular to your rig (ball-joints, hub-locks, axle bearing retainers, whatever) Include a sturdy box or heavy-duty bag for the above. Organize it so that everything can be found in ten seconds or less. Socket strips that firmly ball-lock them in order are very handy. Loose little sockets are a real time-killer while conducting trail repairs.

Add to the above as you see fit.

Everyone with a d30 should have the large socket to take a unit bearing apart, and spare shafts if you run over 33 inch tires.

-Alex

I always carried a spare unibearing hub assembly with the stub shaft and ujoint already installed. :D I carried the 36mm socket as well, but I figured it would make it a lot easier/faster to swap that way... From there it was just spare long and short side shafts by themselves. One breaks, pick a shaft and install it on the stub/bearing, then remove/reinstall. :D Make sure the bearing you pick to carry as a spare is the same as the one on your Jeep, or you WILL be using that socket. :bawl:

When I had a d30 I had a complete set of spare shafts that had the unit bearings attached.

-Alex

I'd much rather do that then have to try and remove the axle nut on the trail.

~Scott

Since we are talking about it.
There are at least 2 different sizes of unit bearings and depending on your wheels they may or may not fit either. You should be aware of this if you carry spare D30 shafts with the unit bearings attached.
Unit bearings are NOT difficult to swap on the trail if they have been properly prepared and installed in a clean environment within the last couple of years.
I would carry spare D30 shafts for 33's and up.

Doug, good starter list on the tools.
Since we are going to the effort I will add a tool section to the list.
More importantly I will work on the more "unusual" tools such as.
Siphon, valve stem tool, tire plug tool, etc.

I will post an updated list shortly.
Keep up the comments and additions.
Michael

Back