• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Banks Power's bolt-on Turbocharger Kit

CobraMarty

NAXJA Forum User
Now in the new JP Magazine June 2013 issue

Gale Banks Engineering 4.0L Turbo system

• for '99 1/2 to '06 Wranglers, requires the two pre-catalytic converters
  • 50 state legal (pending)
  • Basic kit 6psi, average 45% increase in power, under $3000
  • includes everything needed for installation
  • Installs in less than 1 day, in your driveway
  • bolt-on exhaust mods, crossover and downpipe
  • cast bracket holds the turbo and shifts the alternator up a bit for clearance
  • Turbo has 46mm inlet diameter and 58mm wheel diameter
  • Turbo has integrated wastegate and blow-off valve
  • 'T' and fittings tie into oil pressure sending port to supply turbo
  • Weld in 3/8" NPT bung for return line to oil pan
  • 2.5" SS exhaust crossover and downpipe
  • includes 2-bar MAP sensor that plugs into factory harness
  • 35 lb/hr injectors
  • Tuning-base kit includes analog boost gauge and Banks AutoMind
  • Tuning option- Banks iQ touch screen and Automind module +$360
  • requires 91 0ctane fuel to prevent detonation
  • optional side hood scoop to pull in cold air into engine compartment
  • optional intercooler and water-methanol injection allow up to 10psi
  • upgradable, install base kit and add options later
  • +66.1 rwHP and +83.7 rwTQ, peaks at lower rpm range
  • Stock- 137 rwHP at 4600 rpm, 177 rwTQ at 3750 rpm
  • Banks Turbo- 203 rwHP at 4450 rpm, 251 rwTQ at 3200 rpm
  • Over 225 rwTQ from 1950 to 4650 rpm
Finally. Nice kit for '99.5+. Where is the XJ kit?

Looks it only works on the Wrangler setup since it uses a bracket designed to work with the newer TJ/WJ alternator location. It could be put on a XJ at the loss of air conditioning.

i called them inquiring about programer. prices are wrong in JP.The IQ is $800 not $400 BAnks doesent care about XJ's.there tech guyed didn't care about any of my questions. basically they got a kit u got the money.

Banks does care about XJ's (and several of their employees are Naxja members..)

There is just not enough market for that product in the XJ world. XJ owners are cheap, and not enough of them would buy the kit to make it worth the cost of R&D + CARB certification.

Besides, you get more power from a stroker ;)

Banks does care about XJ's (and several of their employees are Naxja members..)

There is just not enough market for that product in the XJ world. XJ owners are cheap, and not enough of them would buy the kit to make it worth the cost of R&D + CARB certification.

Besides, you get more power from a stroker ;)

So what you are saying is you are going to build a stroker and turbo it?

There are however little guys like us that are dedicated to providing solutions to the small niche markets. However, it takes us a hell of a lot longer to get anything to market.

We still have plenty up our sleeve yet to be seen. ;)

So a twin charged supercharged/turbocharged setup with an automatic diverter valve for the compressors? :p

There are however little guys like us that are dedicated to providing solutions to the small niche markets. However, it takes us a hell of a lot longer to get anything to market.

We still have plenty up our sleeve yet to be seen. ;)

I'm wanting a Turbo MJ....i'll be looking you up when its turbo time! :D

homemadeturbo.com used to be where i hung out prior to this site. The old site got bought by some D bag but the site then became realhomemadeturbo.com and then they went to Turbothis.net

CSaddict was one of a couple who i know turbo'd their XJ's successfully. JD is another one of the few I can think of that still tinkers with this stuff. He apparently is a bald Grand Wizard of sorts.

I really need to start stock piling parts for a Turbo build.

Its not really that hard. I threw that kit together rather quick and could do it again super easy. We Turbo'd a 1995 Wrangler years ago with a ebay turbo, pump and FMU for around $600 with left over plumbing and Pete still beats the crap out of that thing!

Its not really that hard. I threw that kit together rather quick and could do it again super easy. We Turbo'd a 1995 Wrangler years ago with a ebay turbo, pump and FMU for around $600 with left over plumbing and Pete still beats the crap out of that thing!

How did it idle with the FMu?

XJ people are cheap bastards, always have been.

Not really. We just like to spend our money on other things like beer and women. ;)
Given that the newest XJ is 12 years old and most have already passed the 100k mile mark, many XJ owners are taking the stroker route to more power rather than forced induction. The XJ also has a more tightly packed engine bay than the TJ so there's less space to fit a turbo.
For me, a turbocharged 4.6L stroker would be the hot ticket.

Last edited:
Back