• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joint "seperation"

Wollowed out taper in the knuckle? Definitely pull it apart. You may need a new knuckle.

Is this common? Thanks guys

no, if the ball joint and the knuckle are designed to go together, it's not very common-- it's still possible, though....

I'd look at the method of use and reliability of the torque wrench-- it appears that the threads on the nut may have stripped and allowed the nut to pull off the ball joint stud. Did the installer attempt to pull the stud into place with the nut??

no, if the ball joint and the knuckle are designed to go together, it's not very common-- it's still possible, though....

I'd look at the method of use and reliability of the torque wrench-- it appears that the threads on the nut may have stripped and allowed the nut to pull off the ball joint stud. Did the installer attempt to pull the stud into place with the nut??

This d30 came out of a late model xj that I only had for a year (and I haven't touched it till now.) so I cannot say for sure.

Thanks for the insight.

impact gun on the nut is common practice (among the novices) to "pull" the ball joint home-- it will result in a stripped nut 9 out of 10 times. Pull it all and swap it all over to new stuff and I'm sure you'll be fine.... unless the knuckle really is FUBAR.......

Back