• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

balistic fab

reliablestv

NAXJA Forum User
im thinking of buying some coil buckets from balistic fab http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Axle-link-coil-mount-brackets-2_p_32-1444.html and was wondering if anyone has had any good, bad, or indifferent experiences with them

for 30 bucks a set between the steel and gas thats about what id have in building my own, but if it,s gunna take 2 months to get it i'll build my own

if this is in the wrong forum will a mod please move it

I ordered the lower coil bucket/CA mount/shock mount combo and thier adjustable upper coil bucket on June 1, I have not recieved them yet but i'll post when i do.

I used this style on my setup
http://ballisticfabrication.3dcartstores.com/Flat-bottom-radius-arm-coil-mounts_p_34-1184.html
and they broke the first trip out...BUT THEY HAVE CHANGED THEM!!! the original had more material than the skull removed which weakend then and the didn't have the lower plate skid. I thought they looked a little light and added a skid to mine and some small gussets to the side which apparently wasn't enough. They sit so far from the axle that the side to side flex they get weakens the metal and it it will begin to crack from the 90* by the coil bucket down to the skull. I still am not saying they won't work. I called jeff at ballistic and they sent me the new version of these for only the cost of shipping. I plan to get the old ones cut off and the new ones on in the next month or so but I am going to add a stiffener plate between the 2 arms and big gussetts from tha axle to the sides of the brackets in about 3 places on each side. I think that for the price of these, you get what you pay for and if you take a little extra time to make sure thay are sturdy they will be indestructable. Great customer service and good designs, i just say if you think it looks like it might have a weak spot add some support.

I have had a good experience with them so far. They were very helpful when I was asking questions about the different heims. I have only ordered a couple of times though. Heim joints and bungs for my CA's. Have not tried anything out yet since the build is still going on.

their coil buckets give about 2" of lift and are designed for flat bottom coil springs unlike our xj springs.

I cut off the tops of the coil perches and welded them to the ballistic brackets because i wanted my jeep off jackstands asap.

looks very hoopty, i would like to replace them with something nicer soon.

100_0532.jpg

ktm racer 419 said:
their coil buckets give about 2" of lift and are designed for flat bottom coil springs unlike our xj springs.

I cut off the tops of the coil perches and welded them to the ballistic brackets because i wanted my jeep off jackstands asap.

100_0532.jpg

just wondering where are your uca's

Might be a 3 link with one upper?

I ordered from them for a customers rig and they were great to deal with. Shipped fast and were received before they said they would be. The only think I would say is that they will lift the jeep almost 2 inches. We used those buckets on the back of a TJ with a very custom lift we designed. Even with modifying them very much, it was still faster and cheaper than cutting our own.

ktm racer 419 said:

I just installed my lower coil mounts on my Waggy 44 Sunday & wandering why your mounts are so high off the axle? My coil plate is less than 1/4 of an inch off the tube. Looks like that's where your getting the extra two inches of lift.

As for shipping from Ballistic, their web site is BS stating they ship the say day if the order is placed before 5pm.. Ordered my parts on Thrusday @ 3pm & didn't get them for over a week. Good stuff though & like said before can't beat the price.

100_0532.jpg

hellbilly04 said:
I just installed my lower coil mounts on my Waggy 44 Sunday & wandering why your mounts are so high off the axle? My coil plate is less than 1/4 of an inch off the tube. Looks like that's where your getting the extra two inches of lift.

As for shipping from Ballistic, their web site is BS stating they ship the say day if the order is placed before 5pm.. Ordered my parts on Thrusday @ 3pm & didn't get them for over a week. Good stuff though & like said before can't beat the price.

I would like to see some pictures of this setup, planning on building my waggy very soon.

KSXJ said:
I would like to see some pictures of this setup, planning on building my waggy very soon.

PM me your email address & I'll send you some pictures of my set up, running wishbone up front & most guys here say they don't work. The pictures will tell the story, two years & counting no problems! :cheers:

My buddie Jeff owns ballistic, Its local like 5miles from my house. The business is growing strong, its doubled its size in the last year. They have built some custom stuff for me like my rock rings.

The older designs did have some failures, I heard Jeff sent out kits to reienforce the kits he had already shipped.

Heres a picture of me spottin jeff up a watter fall afew weeks ago.
I say get them.
download.php

I ordered the lower coil bucket/CA mount/shock mount combo and thier adjustable upper coil bucket on June 1, I have not recieved them yet but i'll post when i do.

Update;
I recieved the order on Fri and I was pleased when I opened the box. All the parts were wrapped nicely and the quality was good. The only thing I noticed was the tabs for the shock mounts were missing.
I went ahead and mocked them up (using magnets and rubberbands) to see if they would work for the YJ I'm building and unfortuanately they won't. They are made, as stated earlier, for flat bottom coils. And as I'm using TJ RE 3.5 coils for my project I decided not to use them. I called them up and talked to Nate, he was understanding and very willing to help me on this. I was offered a refund, but I declined in lieu of store credit to get some other things I will be needing.

All in all, a great company to work with, they will be getting more business from me in the future.

xjcrawlr said:
Update;
I recieved the order on Fri and I was pleased when I opened the box. All the parts were wrapped nicely and the quality was good. The only thing I noticed was the tabs for the shock mounts were missing.
I went ahead and mocked them up (using magnets and rubberbands) to see if they would work for the YJ I'm building and unfortuanately they won't. They are made, as stated earlier, for flat bottom coils. And as I'm using TJ RE 3.5 coils for my project I decided not to use them. I called them up and talked to Nate, he was understanding and very willing to help me on this. I was offered a refund, but I declined in lieu of store credit to get some other things I will be needing.

All in all, a great company to work with, they will be getting more business from me in the future.

Did you get the spring retainer?
retainer.jpg

newflatbottom3.JPG

They used those on my buddies Toyota using some chreokee coils. It worked fine..Its different then stock, the stock coils just sit in a bucket these are designed to clamp to the coil so they dont fall out.

Do you have pictures of what wont work for you? I have personally bolted up XJ coils to these brackets and had no problem.

Yes, the retainers were included, but when I mocked them up using the RE 3.5" coils, they wouldn't stay centered. I am being VERY perticular about this build and I want things to be exactly as I want them to be. I located a junk Dana 30 housing today and I'll be cutting off the coil buckets this weekend. For the upper coil buckets, I'm going to order them from Jeep. I also ordered a set of Dana 60 rear caliper brackets and 5* lower contol arm brackets from Ballistic. I'm going to concentrate on the front end getting finished before I move to the the rest.

xjcrawlr said:
Update;
I went ahead and mocked them up (using magnets and rubberbands) to see if they would work for the YJ I'm building and unfortuanately they won't. They are made, as stated earlier, for flat bottom coils. And as I'm using TJ RE 3.5 coils for my project I decided not to use them.

I'm running flat coil buckets with Xj coils and its working a lot better than you might expect. Originally done as an oversight, I would not hesitate to set it up this way again.

09-20-06_1841.jpg

steering.jpg

well I have to say that I didnt use the retaining piece either. But I Did use there stuff that was very sim to what is pictured above.

Easy fix and I like it better then stock. Pipe cap welded to the center, I think it was 2.5" sch 40, but I did put it on top of a fence ring I found first at a local steel store.

Works great!

P1000245.jpg

just rings at first
P1000230.jpg

Back