• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bald Mtn on July 22

JoesXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Bald Mountain on July 22? Anyone gonna be up around there and wanna take me around and show me the area? I'll be honest, I've only taken the jeep out once since I got it, so i'm a total noob...hopefully not a tard. :D

I might... i am trying to go to pismo that weekend. If it doesnt work out, I will take you to Red lake. Mucho better than bald.

Well this weekend we (wife and 19 mo. old) will be camping at dinkey creek for my birthday (the big three-oh crap i'm getting old) and I'm wondering if anyone is gonna be in the area to hit a few trails with...anyway, let me know.

- Joe

Last edited:
A small update to those who might be thinking about going!

Joe is camping up there, and 3 of us are joining him for the day on Bald Mtn. and possibly a run into Brewer Lake.

Its supposed to be HOT HOT HOT in the valley, so if you can get out for the day on some scenic EASY and FUN trails, come!

We are meeting at ROCK CREEK RD at 9am saturday morning.

Scrappy said:
....Its supposed to be HOT HOT HOT in the valley.....

7Day_web.jpg

anyone want to go that doesnt have a rig? My grandpa just cancelled on me. He cant be out in this heat, he is getting to old :( I have the hard top on and the A/C blows cold!

I am interested in running up to Bald. I haven't driven the Jeep more than 1000' all year. Some of my friends have a super 35 upgrade scheduled for Sat or Sun (don't know what date yet). If the work day is Sunday I am in for Bald. I need to get out of this EFFEN valley sauna.

I might be interested if my work schedule allows me to play this weekend I am in. I will now what the schedule is tommorrow.

What about running strawberry or mirror as well?

Well.. with the group we got, I dont know if chancing mirror would be fun. Thats kind of why I am thinking Brewer Lake. Its scencic, short, and has some BIG fun rocks for a few of us mild rigs. We have 3 guys who have hardly ever been off road going, all with open diffs. They have 31s and one has 33s.

You should try to make it!

We are hoping to get a clients inventory done by Friday and since I work the 2nd shift I might not need to bring in my crew in on Saturday so I might be able to make it. We might need to camp for the night and head back on Sunday. I'll know more tommorrow.

Jen and I are going to camp at Mirror or Strawberry after playing for a few hours on Bald with you all. See yall Saturday, but if we dont get there exactly at 9a, which direction you all heading on Bald so we can play catch up if we are late?

Last edited:
I tried to go up today, just made it to rock creek road and my brake booster took a dump on me. If you guys don't mind a kid taggin along and I can fix my brake booster, I'd like to go.

Billabong1416 said:
I tried to go up today, just made it to rock creek road and my brake booster took a dump on me. If you guys don't mind a kid taggin along and I can fix my brake booster, I'd like to go.

We like'em YOUNG, huh Phil! :D

Welcome, even though Bald isn't that difficult, please have good front and rear tow points.

ChuckD said:
We like'em YOUNG, huh Phil! :D

Welcome, even though Bald isn't that difficult, please have good front and rear tow points.

Haha, easy there! You're going to scare me off!

I've got basic recovery taken care of. Tow hooks up front and a hitch with reciever shackle in the back.

Just curious, what's your guy's engine temp when going up the 4 lane? Mine is one white mark above 210. It doesn't overheat, but it scares me.

Billabong1416 said:
Haha, easy there! You're going to scare me off!

I've got basic recovery taken care of. Tow hooks up front and a hitch with reciever shackle in the back.

Just curious, what's your guy's engine temp when going up the 4 lane? Mine is one white mark above 210. It doesn't overheat, but it scares me.

I was at that mark last Saturday, and I had to turn around at Friant and head back home.

Since you were on the 4 lane, did it go back down once you were getting into Shaver?

ChuckD said:
I was at that mark last Saturday, and I had to turn around at Friant and head back home.

Since you were on the 4 lane, did it go back down once you were getting into Shaver?

So it is not just me. These ambient temperatures of 105+ really play with cooling.

ChuckD said:

Yes it went down some, it seems to like to hover between 210 and the next mark. I replaced the water pump a little over a year ago and the radiator about 2 months ago, so im pretty confident in the cooling system. I am missing my fan shroud, but i wouldn't think that would effect highway driving. I'm going to try and dilute the coolant down to about 55/45 of water/coolant and see how that does. Maybe a new t-stat while im at it.

Some what back on topic, about how long is the Bald Mountain trail?

Back