• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Balancing Tires

SOUTHTEXASXJ said:
so you dont use a balancer you just put the BB's and go?
Correct.

Sorry for reposting an old thread, but I'm trying to decide which is the best of three choices to balance my TR Beadlocks and 35 13.50 15 Krawlers. I've already researched the hell of this and know that I need about 12 oz. in each tire based on the Innovative ceramic bead balancing chart.

1) Lead Buck Shot
2) Air Soft bb's
3) Air shof Pellets

I took them into be static balanced and they stopped after one. They suggested a golf ball, but no way in hell am I going that route

Lead shot will rust, I think, stick to plastic. I have 9oz of .20g dense air soft bbs in my 34s and I dont think its quite enough but the balance is great up to a certain point. When I get above 60mph I get a small vibration. I think I just need a little bit more in each tire. With the airsoft bbs I dont think you can have too much so 12oz may not be quite enough. But if you have beadlocks it wont be hard to add more. Good luck with it. You wont regret this type of balancing.

Lead shot will rust, I think, stick to plastic. I have 9oz of .20g dense air soft bbs in my 34s and I dont think its quite enough but the balance is great up to a certain point. When I get above 60mph I get a small vibration. I think I just need a little bit more in each tire. With the airsoft bbs I dont think you can have too much so 12oz may not be quite enough. But if you have beadlocks it wont be hard to add more. Good luck with it. You wont regret this type of balancing.

Airsoft bb's are an interesting approach. I never thought of them as heavy enough to really work. Wonder how many I would need to buy in order to get 12 oz. a tire?
Lead wont rust and they're pretty heavy.

I have read that metal bb's are so hard that they will actually wear grooves on the insides of the tires. The plastic airsoft bb's are at least soft enough to cause no/less wear.

I liked the idea so well, I installed 12oz. of the (heavy .20) airsoft bb's in each tire today. When it stops snowing I'll give you a report. My reasons for adding 12oz. were; Most people that added less than wished they had added more and if I don't really need 12 than it isn't going to hurt anything. Besides, this is a trail rig only and see's a total of 1000 miles in a year, so If it gets me to and from the trailhead smoothly then cool!

I can tell that with no balancing my tires start bouncing at around 20mph and I can also feel it in the steering wheel.

Last edited:
Back