• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad day for my 4.0L

tallbluexj

NAXJA Forum User
Just two days after getting my XJ road worthy, and attending my first meet-n-greet with MWC/South Bend group, my 4.0L decided to take a dump. By the look of the holes, (plural), in the oil pan, a rebuild is out of the question. And since my wife won’t let me take the 4.0L out of her ’02 Wrangler, I’m looking for options to get back on the road ASAP. I do have my old MJ’s 4.0L, but that requires a rebuild. Looking at which makes the most sense to get the XJ on the road, as quickly, as reliably, and as economically as possible.

Any ideas/suggestions/resources appreciated.

I've got a 4.0l out of a 92 YJ sitting on a pallet up at my Dad's in Michigan. It's got the 90 oil filter adapter (new o-rings!,) new bearings in the bottom end, a pretty new distributor, new plugs & wires. It was running when I scavenged the engine, but I haven't turned it over since I put the new bearings a year ago.

If you interested, PM an offer.

That sucks. I've got a good (I think) bottom end in a parts XJ. It's a renix with a warped head, I'm pretty sure the block is still flat. I bought it that way and did get it started, drove through the yard and sounded fine. I'm trying to dig it out of the yard right now to steal the t-case. It's to cold for the front end loader to start. :mad: Hope to have it in the garage over the weekend, I'm sure we can work something out.

Pic of oil pan. I'm a newbie at attaching link, so don't yell if it goes haywire.

021407_10541.jpg

wow. looks like someone used it for target practice. how many miles where on it?

wow, that looks like you shot it with a shotgun.
someone must have abused that motor in a previous life.

I've got a 120K '88 Renix 4.0 from a pampered MJ that I parted out. Lemme know if you haven't found a replacement yet.

tallbluexj said:
Just two days after attending my first meet-n-greet with MWC/South Bend group, my 4.0L decided to take a dump....

Any ideas/suggestions/resources appreciated.

at least you made new jeep friends right before this misfortune!

i have a motor from my 93. doesn't REQUIRE a rebuild. it was running when removed, but may have a head gasket leak. it ate oil, 1 qt per gas tank.
make offer if you want it. it's in st.charles.

tallbluexj said:
Dano- How many miles are on your motor?
194K? somewhere around there.
it's sitting on the ground at my buddies shop. the Jeep is gone (scrapped) so basicly $100 and the drive would be a haul and it's yours. It's still got the trans attached, so i can yank that off...

pretty much complete motor, minus the brand new starter....
altenator, intake, sensors, no wire harness, or computer.

I may make your day or maybe not. My 92 XJ just got totalled. I have pictures but I dont know how to post them. The engine has about 130000 on it, and that estimate is on the high end. It ran great before it was driven into the Firestone Lobby in Skokie, IL. I think the throttle got stuck open. Anyway the Jeep is a parts car now and the engine ran great. The damage was to the drivers side front. If you want more info shoot me a pm or email me at [email protected], I'll be posting on craigslist in the Champaign/Urbana area as well as the northern chicago suburbs area sometime soon.

Back