• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BA10 to AX15 Tranny Swap - quick ?

boomer1

NAXJA Forum User
From my previous tread:

Bought a 1988 MJ 4.0 with the "puke" BA 10 tranny. The internal slave is shot.

Figured if we were going to fix the internal slave, it made more sense to swap out the BA10 with an AX15 with the external slave.

3 hours laying in the snow at U Pull today, we got a complete bell housing, external slave AX15 and Transfer out of a 1996. Made sure to pull all the parts we could, so I think we are ok there. Still going to need to pick up a clutch kit, release bearing, pilot bearing (CJ5/304/3sp?) and a master/external slave.

Just noticed, the 1996 AX15/transfer, does not have the vacumn hook ups for the front axle vacumn disconnect under the 1988 MJ. Figured the front axle on the 1996 Cherokee was not a vacumn disconnect.

Figuring on 1. locking the front axle gear over (washers or something), 2. changing it over to some type of posi-lick or 3. maybe seeing Josh at CrawlerTec and having him put in a one piece axle in (we did that on our 1988 Cherokee and haven't had any problems).

I'm I right about the 1996 AX15/transfer not having the vacumn hookups, due to the non-vacumn front axle on the donor cherokee?

Any recommendations on which fix might work better for the time being?

Thanks in advance

You should be able to swap out the shift indicator switch on the '96 t-case with the vacuum switch from your older t-case. They screw in the same place and the detent on the moving parts inside simply push up on the switch - allowing the t-case selector light in the '96 to turn on, and to open the vacuum to the disconnect on the '88.

Make sense?

You can see the switch in this pic just to the right of the planetary housing.

231_front_face_view.jpg

If you want additional info on your t-case or AX15, this website has all the info you could ever ask for including parts to adapt components together and what not. Look specifically at the left column of topics under "Knowledge". :thumbup:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/index.htm

Last edited:
Back