• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axles...Curious question

For me it was the 4.56 limit.

I wanted 4.88...I do not weld so that left me with these choices

D35.. .Have that one..

8.25 4.56 is the deepest gear there is for it.

and the D44. When done I will be running 34-36 inch tire and I wanted 4.88 gears.

Jeff

Goatman said:
Easy answer.

More locker availability.

Stronger tubes.

Stronger axles. While it's only 1 spline, 30 spline is still stronger than 29 spline, and the D44 can be upgraded to 33 or 35 spline. These days, if you're starting from scratch to do gears, lockers, and want to get alloy axles, you might as well get the 33 spline stuff.

You call $300-400 mega price? Or are worried about $250? You might be looking into the wrong sport.

Now, I wouldn't recommend someone with a 29 spline 8.25 to upgrade to a D44, but if you have a D35 I'd get a D44 before getting an 8.25.......depending on how you're going to use it. If you know for sure that 33's are as big as you'll go, then the 29 spline 8.25 is a good choice. But, many many folks end up going bigger than they originally thought, and the d44 gives you many more options........for only a couple hundred bucks.

Exactly why i went the Dana 44 Route.

If your looking for a inexpensive replacement rear axle...

I don;t think you can go wrong with the 8.8. Disc breaks, close to stock width, stronger than the d44 and pretty close to bolt in...

And they can be had for $100-$150 bucks.

Also you may not need to regear, depending on the specific 8.8 you find and your current R&P ratio...

I personally am going full width...but I looked long and hard at the 8.8 option.

Does the D44 really have stronger axle tubes? Arent they smaller? This has been argued so many times it's crazy.

Here's some info from one such post:

(8.25 axle)
Number of cover bolts: 10
Number of axle splines: 29
Diameter of ring gear: 8.375"
Number of ring gear bolts: 10
Pinion Shaft Diameter: 1.625"
Pinion Splines : 27
Low Case Ratio : All the same case
Axle shaft diameter: 27 spline 1.17" / 29 spline 1.21"
Axle tube size: 3"

(Dana 44)
Number of axle splines: 30
Diameter of ring gear: 8.5"
Pinion Shaft Diameter: 1.375"
Pinion Splines : 26
Low Case Ratio : 3.92
Axle shaft diameter: 30 spline 1.31"
Axle tube size: 2.75"

I've always heard the 29 sp. 8.25 has stronger axle tubes and a stronger pinion. Also what would be the point of spending all that money on a 44 (33/35sp shafts, etc.) when its much cheaper to upgrade to a 9" or 60. I mean how many people out there are running 38's on a rear XJ 44? Most people running 44's dont go larger than 36's and I dont see why the 8.25 w/ some Alloy shafts couldnt handle some lighter 36's.. maybe im just wrong.....

For me, it's about price and availability. I think the statement about needing to pay more in order to offroad is only partially true. There are more 'mild' offroaders out there than most folks think. For folks like me, who will put 31's on and stick with it, the 8.25 makes the most sense.

That being said, if I could find one for cheap enough, I'd buy an XJ D44 in a New York Minute. Why? Simple. How much would you pay for peace of mind? I would feel a lot better about my mild wheeling with the slightly extra beef of the D44's axleshafts.

In the end, I think it will come down to price. An 8.25 can be had for a song. Replacement parts are cheaper than a D44; and while not as strong as a D44 they are strong enough so that most folks won't have troubles with them. For those of us who aren't going to go gonzo with their rigs, the limitations of the 8.25 just don't matter as much.

:)

My 8.25 should cost me about $300-325 with new full rebuild kit/bearings and seals.

Lincoln locker done. 29 spline...all set.
Disc brake kit...junk yard steal like $75 at the time.

I only need 4.56 at max In My Opinion. At least for now.
I thought I read the 8.25 had stronger tubes and the shafts are the same size until it necks down at the spline.
Running discs means the c-clip isn't an issue.

Lets recap..$300-325 for a fully built axle DONE....OR
Start with $400 for a chunk of iron and start building to the tune of $700-1500 depending on your choices.

For that coin...I would go 9" or D60. Go 5x5.5 pattern and do a D44 front with 9"rear if your going for the big spender stuff.

goatman..its not a matter of wanting to argue...Its simply a matter of seeing the same junk from 6 months ago at $150 going for $400 FIRM!!!!!!!!!! listed by a jackass in a forsale section of some forums. Like they have the mother load of gold at their fingers...give me a freakin break.

I have seen some damn good wheelin rigs that looked like the guy spent $500 to build it.

Then lets see...Me being in the wrong sport I think you said...I think I have $35,000 in to my CJ7 and its not done yet.

My XJ is the low buck ride and it runs...well it will next week when the stroker is started.

So before you think of me as SON or BOY...I might be a bit older than you think ;)

Also, on the "peace of mind" note, try finding an axleshaft for a D-44 in the Junkyard when you snap one. ChryCo 8.25s' are all over the place. But only if you have to work on a REAL WORLD budget (rent/mortage, kids, car payment [ NOT me, new cars are junk when new], food utilities, and so on....) It must be nice to have stupid amounts of money, and the time to go spend it.

I twisted up two dana 35's and one mj 44. I spent around a hundred bucks for the 44. It lasted three trips with 33 inch boggers. I am running a 9" now. Yep, after smashing up one drive shaft I started saving for something different. Then I decided to go with a Hi9. This way I can spend twice as much as a 60, but do it slowly :) Next step, spyder9 housing and disc brakes.....

yellowta said:
Find a way to get 4.88's into my 8.25 and I'd be glad to stick with it.

I guess I should drop this thread.

Your either die hard into the 44 and thats all you can see....Or you have looked around and seen the strength of other axles and the 44 is no big deal.

ren said:
Also, on the "peace of mind" note, try finding an axleshaft for a D-44 in the Junkyard when you snap one. ChryCo 8.25s' are all over the place. But only if you have to work on a REAL WORLD budget (rent/mortage, kids, car payment [ NOT me, new cars are junk when new], food utilities, and so on....) It must be nice to have stupid amounts of money, and the time to go spend it.

A very good point!

An acquaintance recently sheered the ears off of a D44 front axle (has Scout axles under a CJ) and had a heck of a time finding a replacement from scrapyards. I forget what he wound up paying, but it wasn't cheap.

:)

uncc civilengineer said:
Does the D44 really have stronger axle tubes? Arent they smaller? This has been argued so many times it's crazy.

Here's some info from one such post:

(8.25 axle)
Number of axle splines: 29
Diameter of ring gear: 8.375"
Pinion Shaft Diameter: 1.625"
Pinion Splines : 27
Low Case Ratio : All the same case
Axle shaft diameter: 27 spline 1.17" / 29 spline 1.21"
Axle tube size: 3"

(Dana 44)
Number of axle splines: 30
Diameter of ring gear: 8.5"
Pinion Shaft Diameter: 1.375"
Pinion Splines : 26
Low Case Ratio : 3.92
Axle shaft diameter: 30 spline 1.31"
Axle tube size: 2.75"

I've always heard the 29 sp. 8.25 has stronger axle tubes and a stronger pinion. Also what would be the point of spending all that money on a 44 (33/35sp shafts, etc.) when its much cheaper to upgrade to a 9" or 60. I mean how many people out there are running 38's on a rear XJ 44? Most people running 44's dont go larger than 36's and I dont see why the 8.25 w/ some Alloy shafts couldnt handle some lighter 36's.. maybe im just wrong.....

This boys and girls is why unless you are going to run +36" tires or need deeper than 4.56 gears is why you keep the 8.25 rearend. Larger tubes and pinion, which I've seen a both fail on a XJ D44, both of which I have yet to see done on a 29 spline 8.25.

Most common I have seen is twisted tubes on the 8.25. Very common to see broken shafts (more so than 44's). Ring and pinion failure... only when smashed into rocks or poorly set up.

I have nothing against the 44 or the 8.25. I just think they are better suited for less than a 36" tire.

ren said:

Yeah but when you snap your D44 shafts you have the option of getting upgraded axleshafts that won't break next time. Not so much with the 8.25.

But hey, I got my D44 and a NP231 out of an 87 XJ for $135. Anyone who spends $400 on a stock D44 isn't looking hard enough or is just plain dumb. But hey, some of us have the money for that.

supply and demand.

xj dana 44 are rare, stronger, and a direct bolt-in...

...try to find a bolt-in 9" for around 300.

...BUT HELL, what do i care?...i only paid $120:D

:wave1:

Bouncy said:
I guess I should drop this thread.

Your either die hard into the 44 and thats all you can see....Or you have looked around and seen the strength of other axles and the 44 is no big deal.
Well, you did ask the question and there have been some good responses on both sides of the fence.

I found a Dana 44 at a fair price and the direct bolt in replacement part of it was a big selling point. It is still sitting in my back yard. Since I'm running 30" tires and I have a non c-clip D-35 and a spare set of shafts, I may sell it or trade it for a locker for my D-35.

I think what axle you run is a function of what you plan to do with the rig. Mine will never see the rocks and will make occational trips to the beach. The non c-clip version of the D-35 is looking better and better all the time. So, where can I find these people that pay $400 for a D-44....

Tom

I had a 29 spline 8.25, 4.56 gears, no-slip locker, anti-wrap perches all setup and running, when I had 32" tires. I could hammer on it all day long with no problem.

Then I bought some 35's, and 4.56+35's was *crap*. I was constantly downshifting. Drove it that way for a few months while I shopped around, and got a d44 for $150.. far shot from 300-400. Used detroit locker and 4.88 gears, and I was in business.. changed the spring perches and relocated the shock mounts a little while later.

Now for reasons of my own I dont think the 44 is "strong enough" anymore, and I have a new 35 spline arb and shiny CrMo 35 spline shafts to go into it.. without having to buy a new rear and and start over, again.

The 29 spline 8.25 isn't a bad rear end, but when you want to get serious, it won't be up to the task anymore..

I guess I'm trying to say "No room to grow."

-Cal

ratherbcamping said:
Well, you did ask the question and there have been some good responses on both sides of the fence.

I found a Dana 44 at a fair price and the direct bolt in replacement part of it was a big selling point. It is still sitting in my back yard. Since I'm running 30" tires and I have a non c-clip D-35 and a spare set of shafts, I may sell it or trade it for a locker for my D-35.

I think what axle you run is a function of what you plan to do with the rig. Mine will never see the rocks and will make occational trips to the beach. The non c-clip version of the D-35 is looking better and better all the time. So, where can I find these people that pay $400 for a D-44....

Tom

True good responses have been stated. Just looking though...the strength is very nominal at best In My Opinion.

If your going big, it isn't in the middle class of axles but people seem to think D44s are in the upper class/bigger class of axles and there not.

A 44 would have been nice but it wasnt in the market with everyone asking high dollar these days.

Our market place here...I have seen 3 D44s in the past 2 weeks...All asking 300-400 a piece. Not even considering they are far away..thats my problem.

I have 2 9" axles and 2 d60s and a d70 sitting next to the barn...Just not ready to build the 9" till I find a suitable front. My end result with be 36" tires, front ?? rear 9", stroker at 275-300hp and the sye 231 with wide chain conversion, long arm, cage, exocage, and body armor with full skids. Yes rocky trails are in my path. But for now, I'm doing low buck 8.25 and D30 till they explode.

Ive got a D44 sitting in the garage right now waiting for me to clean it up and regear it. I paid $250 for it. I bought it when I was certain I had a 27 spline 8.25 in my 96. I found the D44 and decided it would be a better option than converting the 27 spline 8.25 to 29 spline. Thats why I paid $250 for it. Come to find out, the manufacture date on my 96 was in october 96 and Ive probably got 29 spline already (I havent opened it up to check yet).

Back