• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Wrap 101

What are the specs on that leaf pack?

i dunno.

my first lift was a full spring pack (not aal). it soon started sagging because of the added weight of my gear and armor. i asked a local company - they are an industrial shop, doing dumptrucks and the like - to build me a spring pack to correct the sag as well as add some lift (since i was ready to go higher anyway, this was the time to do it). i didn't tell them how to do it, just to do it.

this is probably not relavent but on my old truck (sonoma) I had a set up for a "hop shock" from the factory it looked something like the pic. Just a shock between the frame and axle. Dont know if it would work on a 4x4 application where alot of flex is involved, but it is something to think about.
ZQ8Hop-ShockLocation.jpg

I have seen something like that on Ford Exploders. They are attached to the rear diff at the pinion end. I think that is what it is? :dunno: I never did take a good look. :eyes: Never asked what it does. :huh:

I guess with the lack of adjustment on the bar, the bracket has to be welded onto the axle just right to get it lined up with the crossmember.

Maybe the leaves will give enough for a little wiggle room...

Nice though.

Robert

(Edit: 'Course, if it was too misaligned, you could just use a longer/shorter shackle, huh?)

I guess with the lack of adjustment on the bar, the bracket has to be welded onto the axle just right to get it lined up with the crossmember.

Nice though.

Robert

(Edit: 'Course, if it was too misaligned, you could just use a longer/shorter shackle, huh?)
Yes,I always put in adjustment on both ends for length and pinion changes.

Nice though.

Robert

Yep, you just bolt the tabs to the bar, jack the crossmember up to the frame rails, set your shackle angle, tack the tabs on, and mark your holes on the framerail.

It's really easy to set up, but it doesn't allow pinion angle adjustments. The good news is if you add lift in the rear, the pinion will always be pointing at the Tcase output. This setup pretty much requires an SYE.

That being said, the very first bar I made was adjustable at the axle end. I broke the 1" studs multiple times before I replaced it with a non-adjustable bar. Granted, I doubt many people will put these bars through what I do, but that's the reason for the lack of adjustability.

I like how you fixed the dangle of the shackle hanger on the crossmember. That's the only thing I didn't like about your original.
Nice kit.

I agree that it works better on the passenger side, but that requires a whole 'nother level of fabrication and exhaust work. Not something that would likely sell well in kit form.

We did a custom bar on a buddy's XJ. He flipped his leafs front to back, to stretch the wheelbase so a traction bar was an absolute must.
His is on the pass side. It's a high clearance unit that uses 2 johnny joints with an adjoining shackle.
His rig is strictly off-road though, so we were able to cut a section out of the floor and tuck the front portion up higher.

Nice to see a bolt-on type pre-fab traction bar kit like yours.
Good job!

Yep, by switching to a johnny joint on the bar instead of the shifty shackle I was able to tuck that up. On my personal rig the bar is on the passenger side, and my exhaust runs down the driver's side since I have a Chevy 60. I also ran the exhaust next to the traction bar on the pass side for a while. Worked well with a Magnaflow muffler. I'll dig some pics up if I have some time.

Back