• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Swap Come Spring! Need Help

Hemenechi

NAXJA Forum User
88' MJ

my ideas that are in my head sofar are...

D44, out of a 87-90 xj
toyota 8"??
tacoma??

i heard things about the toyota axles but i dont know witch one to use.. i did some searching but dident find what i was looking for lets see if i got this right

80-85 rear 8" axle is 55" 6"x5.5" lug pattern 4x4, 5".5.5" lug pattern 2x4.
86-9? rear 8" axle is 58" 6"x5.5" lug pattern 4x4, 5".5.5" lug pattern 2x4.
96+ tacoma 8.4" axle is 60" 6"x5.5" lug pattern 4x4, ?"?.?" lug pattern 2x4.

i have a 85' and 87' toyota rear 4x4 axle in my yard with 4:88 that is why im asking

sorry if this dosent make much sense im in a rush to leave.. please post somthing that might help or point me in the right direction

Thanks
Jay

Ive been wanting to put a toy 8" under my XJ for a while now. I think the 2wd version is supposedly 5 on 4.5 but i have yet to ever see one. IIRC anything thats 96- will be too narrow unless you inboard the rear leaves. The toy 8.4 is the same as a regular 8" it just has diff 3rd or housing or something like that right? It also has better than a D35 ground clearence. The brake lines are diff too and the driveshaft wont bolt up. So if you want something a little easier i would shy away form the 8" and just do the d44 since it is a bolt in, if you can find one for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
i have a Explorer 8.8 out of a 98' with 4:10 gears and disc brakes.. but thats going in my xj im trying to find somthing different for my MJ, mabey ill just buy a Dana 44 sounds like the way to go thanks for the help ill keep you guys posted with stuff i do to it see if you guys like it... my first MJ

Back