• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Pros, please help....

I'd NEVER cut down a fullsize axle.........

not when you can EASILY throw on 5.5" offset rims, like you have plans to, and come up with a PERFECT outside tracwidth.....

what outside tracwidth do you want?

I have around a 79" tracwidth using 5" offset 17" rims.

17" rims SWALLOW the huge Ford 3/4 ton dual piston calipers AND my high-steer arms!

don't make this more difficult, just run the axle the way it is, there's nothing wrong with running the tubes with the cast mounts.

one ton runs this axle, so ask him.

dualpiston2.JPG

Beezil said:
I'd NEVER cut down a fullsize axle.........

not when you can EASILY throw on 5.5" offset rims, like you have plans to, and come up with a PERFECT outside tracwidth.....

what outside tracwidth do you want?

I have around a 79" tracwidth using 5" offset 17" rims.

17" rims SWALLOW the huge Ford 3/4 ton dual piston calipers AND my high-steer arms!

don't make this more difficult, just run the axle the way it is, there's nothing wrong with running the tubes with the cast mounts.

one ton runs this axle, so ask him.

Thanks Beez,

I got an F150 D44 w/ the cast radius mounts not spring percehs (Didn't know if you saw that or not) I will PM One Ton, but I figured by the name and your pic He runs F250 HP D44, not F150..

FarmerMatt said:
I would never run one full width just for the fact that your hubs will be hanging way out like curb feelers waiting to get ripped apart or ground down to nothing. Go narrow or go home.

Matt

Remember, our young Jedi has not yet been to Johnson Valley......that will beat the full width right out of him.

See you in November, chrome dome.

CRASH

What size tire are you planning on running? The 17" wheel may limit your choices too.

basalt51 said:
What size tire are you planning on running? The 17" wheel may limit your choices too.

37s.

Hey Basalt, Why do you not run bigger tires?

CRASH said:
Remember, our young Jedi has not yet been to Johnson Valley......that will beat the full width right out of him.

See you in November, chrome dome.

CRASH

I have fullsize axles, but I'm not full width.

my appearance in JV depends on one tons money!

I guess I fooked.

Beezil said:
I have fullsize axles, but I'm not full width.

my appearance in JV depends on one tons money!

I guess I fooked.

You've hitched yourself to OneNut's wagon? That was silly.

If you can't find a way to tow your junk out, fly out and hitch a ride with one of the crew. Matt may even have his secondary rig running by then.

CRASH

ZachMan said:
37s.

Hey Basalt, Why do you not run bigger tires?

I'm going to 35s when these wear out. Since I drive 120+ miles/day I wanted to be sure I liked the way the xj handled before going bigger, hence the 33s. I wasn't really planning on replacing my axles, but I found a couple of deals I couldn't refuse.

There is a hair requirement to ride in my rig. The track width isn't the problem. I find a lot of the time the line I'm trying to stick puts the wheel right up against a rock face. My hubs get chewed up now. I'm running 3.5" back spaced wheels now & plan to run the exact axle ZachMan has narrow up 6" with 3" backspaced wheels to suck the hubs in a little tighter on my new rig.

Matt

Ahh good news. A guy on Pirate will trade me a 73' HP D44 housing for my 78. He said the the radius are mounts were cut off when he got it and He needs a housing with radius arm mounts for his Bronco.

?, Is a 1973 D44 the same as my HP D44, just with welded mounts? I just don't want to trade for some LP axle or odd ball.

Yes, it's the same, except the tubes will be 1/2". I use a 1972 unit.

It will have drum brakes, though.

CRASH

couldn't he keep his outers and knuckles?

basalt51 said:
couldn't he keep his outers and knuckles?

Ford outers are damn near useless. No flat tops and funky 5 bolt spindles and caliper bracket. The only usable thing is the hub and rotor, but those are so cheap that's it's not worth keeping them.

CRASH

He said it was already built and has high steer arms, so whatever it is probably worth keeping if they'll match up? I just wouldn't want to see him trade a built axle for an old piece of crap (relatively speaking).

basalt51 said:
He said it was already built and has high steer arms, so whatever it is probably worth keeping if they'll match up? I just wouldn't want to see him trade a built axle for an old piece of crap (relatively speaking).

Yeah we are both keeping everything, but the housing itself. I already have highsteer arms, Warn hubs etc. So yeah I'm keeping all that.

Since I am keeping my outers and I guess knuckles, everything will fit onto the '73 housing, right?

ZachMan said:
Yeah we are both keeping everything, but the housing itself. I already have highsteer arms, Warn hubs etc. So yeah I'm keeping all that.

Since I am keeping my outers and I guess knuckles, everything will fit onto the '73 housing, right?

Yes, everything will bolt right up.

CRASH

Back