• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle interchange

asymptonic

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
If I wanted to pull a rear axle assembly for my Jeep, will an ABS axle work for my non-ABS Jeep? I have the 8.25 with 3.07 gear ratio. Is there any difference between one from a 2WD vs 4WD?

Well, you aren't going to find an ABS 8.25. If you find an ABS axle it will be a D35, and you don't want that. The ABS part won't matter, but the downgrade is not desireable.

I am not aware of any difference between a 2wd and a 4wd axle. That should be a non-issue.

Your biggest challenge is going to be finding another 8.25 with 3.07 gears. Most are automatics. OTOH, there are not many folks looking for a 3.07 axle, so you don't have much competition to worry about.

An abs axle is always a d35 but unless you are high horsepower with big tires it will be plenty strong enough. The issue is the snout is a different length so you would need the proper length driveshaft. I believe Anak is correct that there should be no difference between 2wd and 4wd.

Disagree. If you have one, whatever, but swapping one in is a fools game. 8.25’s are way too abundant and cheap to instead swap in garbage.

Disagree. If you have one, whatever, but swapping one in is a fools game. 8.25’s are way too abundant and cheap to instead swap in garbage.

Still never understood the d35 hate. There is seriously nothing wrong with it. It may not have aftermarket support but mine is at 320k postal miles and still holding up great.

Still never understood the d35 hate. There is seriously nothing wrong with it. It may not have aftermarket support but mine is at 320k postal miles and still holding up great.

You are one of the lucky few.

The Varmint-Mobile has a D35 rear with half the miles of yours, is stone stock, shows no sign of anything but easy miles and needs the pinion bearings replaced. I have looked through the junkyard multiple times for a decent replacement and everything in the JY is either equally worn out or has been pillaged for parts.

Mostly looking for a spare, but my diff is wearing out and starting to roar under load in 4th. It's my only vehicle and the only place that'll rebuild near me wants to keep the vehicle for 2+ weeks. So the plan is to locate a replacement and have them check it over out of the vehicle then swap it in and either just hang onto the original or have it rebuilt as a spare.

Don't want to add ABS, and definitely going for the 8.25. I think my question is answered, I'll look for a 3.07 8.25 of any sort.

Fair enough. You're looking for a donor with a manual transmission since that was the only configuration with 3.07 gearing. Finding a 29 spline replacement from a 97+ (possibly 96) narrows things down even further. An earlier model 27 spline replacement isn't as durable, but it will keep you on the road. The good news is that you might find a 2WD model with the rear end you need, but it might be a tough search. Good luck!

Mostly looking for a spare, but my diff is wearing out and starting to roar under load in 4th. It's my only vehicle and the only place that'll rebuild near me wants to keep the vehicle for 2+ weeks. So the plan is to locate a replacement and have them check it over out of the vehicle then swap it in and either just hang onto the original or have it rebuilt as a spare.

Don't want to add ABS, and definitely going for the 8.25. I think my question is answered, I'll look for a 3.07 8.25 of any sort.

As a fellow 5spd guy, I'd just grab a front and rear from an auto and get that 3.55 upgrade.

Back