• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle droop

afd516

NAXJA Forum User
How much axle droop should a leaf pack allow?

I have BOR leafs with a boomerang shackle. I unbolted the u-bolts on one side and lifted it. The leaf became separated from the axle as I lifted and then the tire came off the ground. My shock allows for 3" of droop. Will the spring droop further than 3"?

I am wondering if I need a longer shock in an effort to let the leaf spring droop to its full potential.

3" inches of droop does not seem like enough but what do I know? :confused:

theres an easier way to check that besides breaking the u-bolts... disconnect the shock and jack it up the same.. will the shock go farther? not long enough? lift springs arent going to give you much down travel. a longer shackle can help but leaf springs will only go so far by design.

I set my rear suspension up with 6" uptravel and 7" of downtravel.

When one side is stuffed to the bumpstop it will force the other side to droop further as that side stuffs further.

You can get more droop compared to where it is at hanging with the rear lifted up and on stands.

Make sure your shackle and rear spring eyes are poly or they can limit droop. Keep the rubber front spring bushing for ride quailty.

I had already broke loose the leaf sprig plates and u-bolts to remove a leaf. I noticed when I lifted the jeep that I only had about 3" of droop limited by the shock. I did not even think to remove the shock from the bottom and flex it out. I will do that on tuesday and go from there. I am betting that I can get a few more inches of axle droop by going with a longer shock. If I only get half inch or an inch more I will probably leave it. Thanks for the replies.

Back