• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle builder kit. Hp44 and 8.8

shortxjdoug

NAXJA Forum User
We're thinning the herd and all this axle stuff is in the way and probably wont get used for some time. Its a great way to start building a killer axleset, just isn't complete.

Parts list: all brand new in box unless noted
G2 hp44 5.13 gears
G2 ford 8.8 5.13 gears
G2 master install kits for each
Yukon d44 grizzly locker
Ruffstuff d44 cover (used)
Used 3/4 ton hp44 housing narrowed to widetrack waggy width. Inner c's not welded on yet.

You'll need a rear axle, rear traction device, ford 1/2 ton outers and brakes, and axleshafts of your choice. If you want to replace your d30 and already have a locked 8.8 this is the perfect pile of parts.

1k firm for all of it. Way under retail

Trade for 500 windshield banners? :)

Seriously though, what the difference in width between "widetrack waggy" and the standard LP Waggy 44 that I have? I guess the shafts I have wouldn't work in the widetrack axle? Just curious.

Is your waggy Dana 44 a drivers drop?
1980-1991 all had a driver side diff, and are 1.5" wider that the 196?-1979 passenger side drop.

If your waggy 44 is drivers side drop and unmodified, your axle shafts will slide right in and be the correct lengths.

If you already have a dana44 ft, the only thing you are gaining is some R&P strength and a stronger housing and some driveshaft angle.
Doug's housing is from a F-250 and as such has 3"OD .500 wall tubes and more ribbing on the casting.

If you are not wheeling hard enough to break your current axle its not that big of an upgrade for all the work to swap it. Properly set up, LP 44 R&Ps are stronger than almost all chromoly aftermarket shafts, RCVs being the only one I know of. Tyler wheels the hell outta a LP 44 front with 38" rubber.

But if you want to build the absolute best D44 front you can, Doug's housing is what you want.

Last edited:
Is your waggy Dana 44 a drivers drop?
1980-1991 all had a driver side diff, and are 1.5" wider that the 196?-1979 passenger side drop.

If your waggy 44 is drivers side drop and unmodified, your axle shafts will slide right in and be the correct lengths.

If you already have a dana44 ft, the only thing you are gaining is some R&P strength and a stronger housing and some driveshaft angle.
Doug's housing is from a F-250 and as such has 3"OD .500 wall tubes and more ribbing on the casting.

If you are not wheeling hard enough to break your current axle its not that big of an upgrade for all the work to swap it. Properly set up, LP 44 R&Ps are stronger than almost all chromoly aftermarket shafts, RCVs being the only one I know of. Tyler wheels the hell outta a LP 44 front with 38" rubber.

But if you want to build the absolute best D44 front you can, Doug's housing is what you want.

I gotcha. I'm fairly content with mine but have considered upgrading to HP. But, like you said, that'd be an aweful lot of work for little gain.

I only have 35's on my Waggy 44, trussed, Detroit, Doug's old chromo shafts, super joints and 4.56s. By the time I swapped over to all this I'd have different gears, HP and a different locker. lol Not much of an improvement for the time/money spent.

It's a damn fine deal for someone though.

the shafts and all your outer stuff will fit in this 44 andy..... incase you were wondering, you have all the pieces to finish the puzzle. gears carry a lifetime warranty also

if it doesnt sell ill just finish building it.

Doug, you shortened that HP44 to 60" WMS just like the driver's drop narrowtrack Wag 44? Or is it 65" like the J-trucks and fullsize Cherokee Chiefs?

Doug, you shortened that HP44 to 60" WMS just like the driver's drop narrowtrack Wag 44? Or is it 65" like the J-trucks and fullsize Cherokee Chiefs?

the measurements were taken from a 1983 widetrack wagoneer axle to build it. honestly i cant remember the wms measurements off the top of my head.

i believe it is the 60" variant after some searching

Last edited:
The widetracks were the 65" version and had the wide steel fender flares. Wagoneers were neither widetrack nor had flares. Do you build these axles or...?

I gotcha. I'm fairly content with mine but have considered upgrading to HP. But, like you said, that'd be an aweful lot of work for little gain.

I only have 35's on my Waggy 44, trussed, Detroit, Doug's old chromo shafts, super joints and 4.56s. By the time I swapped over to all this I'd have different gears, HP and a different locker. lol Not much of an improvement for the time/money spent.

It's a damn fine deal for someone though.

Yeah but you see if you bought that, I'd be very tempted to be snooping around to buy yours.......

The widetracks were the 65" version and had the wide steel fender flares. Wagoneers were neither widetrack nor had flares. Do you build these axles or...?

Im not well versed in fsj terms. It was patterned off of an 80+ grand wagoneer axle, which i believe is considered a "wide narrow track" 60" wms.

I had one in a jeep, liked the width. So i just made a carbon copy hp44 housing

Sale pending on the gears. Im keeping the housing but the locker is for sale still.

500 cash for BNIB grizzly locker. Will negotiate partial trades for a complete xjd30 or various firearms

Back