• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 out for slave, other parts to do?

Forceful Llama

NAXJA Forum User
So I am ordering this for my 92 4.0 np231.
http://www.carolinaclutch.com/ShowItem/105129 Jeep Stock Replacement Clutch Kit.aspx
Napa wanted 180 just for the slave and I hear Luk is a great brand.

I planned on just replacing the slave and calling it a day, but the jeep has 220k miles and I have no idea when the previous owner had things changed last. Think of anything else to look at while I have the tranny out? Any tips for bleeding the system? I plan on draining transfer case and trans fluid then putting in fresh.

That clutch is fine for normal driving.Redline MT gear oil has helped the several XJ's I 've owned in the past and present shift better.

The clutch itself may well be fine, but make sure you look carefully at the throwout bearing and the surface of the diaphragm it rides on. This is what failed on my 99 at about 250K. The bearing ate right through the diaphragm and jammed, trashing clutch, slave, and lever. If the diaphragm looks unworn, I'd still consider a new throwout bearing. Once they go dry and start to yell, you're in trouble.

A new clutch wouldn't be a bad idea, even if you're the sort of driver who could squeeze a million miles out of the lining.

But I'd base the decision at least in part on how much you enjoy tearing these things apart, and on whether you have a good transmission jack. If you find this a relatively easy job, you can afford to take more risk. If this is something you'd rather never do again, then get a clutch now.

Back