• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Awful week

Nope, it was Beezil. Used heavily by the group of mid-west guys that initially started the "Cherokee Treehouse" or "XJ Treehouse" or something like that...... a forum way back in the day....... which then led to the creation/formation of NAXJA.

Nope, it was Beezil. Used heavily by the group of mid-west guys that initially started the "Cherokee Treehouse" or "XJ Treehouse" or something like that...... a forum way back in the day....... which then led to the creation/formation of NAXJA.

History time: NAXJA was formed right here in CO by Dave Nay of Colorado Springs, largely out of the Colorado-XJ forum on Egroups. That's the way I remember it anyway.. Fred and a few others can probably confirm that.

I agree, Beezil coined the SPOBI term, although I think Mason was in diapers at the time, so I'm not sure how he "IIRC's"...

Funny you mention Nay, I just referenced him earlier in the day in a thread on FZJ80's... his ears must be burning...

History time: NAXJA was formed right here in CO by Dave Nay of Colorado Springs, largely out of the Colorado-XJ forum on Egroups. That's the way I remember it anyway.. Fred and a few others can probably confirm that.

First time I'd heard that version, but I won't argue..... I signed up with NAXJA about a year after it'd been started and got my "history" lesson forced on me with all that drama that had been going on in the early years.... It's my recollection that Beezil and others close to him (Great Lakes Jeep Thing and XJ Treehouse forums) were claiming they "fathered" the club...... and as I recall, the initial incorporation documents/charter were filed in Illinois...... initially stemming from Forum Fest in '98 where lots of XJ forum guys got together and brainstormed the early creation of NAXJA...... :dunno:

Well, here it is in the By Laws:

"Article II - Status
Section 1: Incorporation
The Corporation shall be incorporated in the State of Illinois as a not-for-profit corporation, effective 7 January 1999."

I recall Colorado-XJ List being a yahoo group that was in existence a while before NAXJA..... and it continued on almost as a "chapter" kind of forum for some time after NAXJA, but totally unaffiliated. Hell I still have a CO-XJ List t-shirt....... I think ultimately the Vbulletin forum allure won over most of the Colorado-XJ List guys...... using that yahoo group thing sucked. But yeah, Dave Nay, Aaron Storms, Grant Barclay, JohnJohn and maybe even Led and several others were grounded in Colorado-XJ List before NAXJA became big....

I kinda remember a thread here in the Chapter having been created about all this...... might have to try to find it.

Some discussion about the early formation is in a few posts in this thread..... even one from Fred on pg 5: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1049122&highlight=colorado-xj

Also worth noting...... no member of NAXJA will show a join date earlier than 2002. The first server/host being used crashed completely in early '02 and took all the archived forum stuff including the original member list with it...... I joined in late '99.....

Wow....... this has been one helluva hijack...... :laugh:

Last edited:
I agree, Beezil coined the SPOBI term, although I think Mason was in diapers at the time, so I'm not sure how he "IIRC's"...

Lemme rephrase it for you, "IIRHC." Fawkin lawyers.

I recall Colorado-XJ List being a yahoo group that was in existence a while before NAXJA..... and it continued on almost as a "chapter" kind of forum for some time after NAXJA, but totally unaffiliated. Hell I still have a CO-XJ List t-shirt....... I think ultimately the Vbulletin forum allure won over most of the Colorado-XJ List guys...... using that yahoo group thing sucked. But yeah, Dave Nay, Aaron Storms, Grant Barclay, JohnJohn and maybe even Led and several others were grounded in Colorado-XJ List before NAXJA became big....

That's the way I heard it, think it was from Fred a couple years ago.

First off:

Dave Nay can kiss my ass.

Naxja was "invented" by the great group of dudes that decided to "sack up", log off the internet, and get together in one awesome spot to wheel with a bunch of internet characters they never met before....

that was 1998. the place was Moab. The concept of constructing a formal club that while internet-based, would have a focus on events that we hoped would one day rival that of the Jeep Jamborees was conceived over beers around a campfire not too far away from dead horse point, overlooking the canyon below, and the bottom of schaffer trail.

Self-proclaimed "memeber #1" wasn't there.

Naxja history lesson aside, any credit due to anyone, would of course be to those who continue to keep this club active, and relevant, and fun. The folks who just don't talk about it, but those that get off thier ass and contribute.

A few of us that created the very first events have lost interest over the years, and in some cases have totally disappeared. The credit belongs to those that have stuck with it, the ones who don't quit.

Some of those 1998 Moab guys are still around, if you see one of them on an event, buy them a beer. And in case one of those guys turns out to be a goofy-ass libertarian-mormon who doesn't drink beer, buy him a fresca.

X2.
Kendra, ARCHIVE THE BOARDS!!!!!!!. Tom C, where is the money and what is with that damned ghost???

First off:

Dave Nay can kiss my ass.

Naxja was "invented" by the great group of dudes that decided to "sack up", log off the internet, and get together in one awesome spot to wheel with a bunch of internet characters they never met before....

that was 1998. the place was Moab. The concept of constructing a formal club that while internet-based, would have a focus on events that we hoped would one day rival that of the Jeep Jamborees was conceived over beers around a campfire not too far away from dead horse point, overlooking the canyon below, and the bottom of schaffer trail.

Self-proclaimed "memeber #1" wasn't there.

Naxja history lesson aside, any credit due to anyone, would of course be to those who continue to keep this club active, and relevant, and fun. The folks who just don't talk about it, but those that get off thier ass and contribute.

A few of us that created the very first events have lost interest over the years, and in some cases have totally disappeared. The credit belongs to those that have stuck with it, the ones who don't quit.

Some of those 1998 Moab guys are still around, if you see one of them on an event, buy them a beer. And in case one of those guys turns out to be a goofy-ass libertarian-mormon who doesn't drink beer, buy him a fresca.

LOL! We got Beezil to post up in the CO Chapter?!?!?!?! :D

I dunno if I should feel honored....... or just fart in his general direction..... :dunno:

:laugh:

Back