• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 to 2.8...possible?

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
My brother in law has two busted Jeeps in his yard. Both in great condition body wise, but one was raped by a tweaker (random parts missing from 4.0, missing driver's seat, other random thing) and has a rod knock when it runs; the other runs but is a 2.8 with a likely bad tranny/transfer case. Would it be possible to move the 4.0's transmission/transfer case combo over to the 2.8 temporarily while getting the 4.0 rebuilt?

Finally found the info (partly) I was looking for. Sounds like if it is even possible, it'll be a major pain in the keister. The 2.8's tranny is mechanical shift whereas the AW4 uses a solenoid. So if it were to be done it would require bringing over the wiring as well? Starting to sound to me like too much of a hassle for the payoff - driving a 2.8 Cherokee... :D

Call Advance Adapters--if it can be done, they will know how to do it--1-800-350-2223

Saw your second post after my post, you can leave the TCU out and shift manually, just won't have OD, but you could probably hook it up with a command switch.

Back