• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 shifting soft?

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
Posted this in OEM tech and only got one response (not very helpful)......have always gotten better results from you guys so......
Have a 96 with an AW4 33s and 4.88s
Have 270K on it but trans has always been serviced regularly, never over heated (have a healthy trams cooler).....throttle valve cable properly adjusted.

Recently it's been shifting kinda soft and dragging out shifts at times.
I know certain engine sensors effect shift firmness.
TPS, MAP, intake temp?
Being that these are the original sensors, am I headed in the right direction?
I know the trans is fine, last fluid/filter change revealed absolutely no debris in pan.
Hans

Curious to see what the problem is, mine has been acting a little wired lately with symptoms as you describe

Adjust the TV cable. Check the TPS on the tranny side. If all fails, drain and refill the tranny with fresh fluid.

Adjust the TV cable. Check the TPS on the tranny side. If all fails, drain and refill the tranny with fresh fluid.
Sound advice!

I'd still hit up Justin though, im sure he knows more about a trans than most of us.

Well trans is shifting nice and crisp again
Factory cooler lines were leaking and I didn't realize level was a little low
so replaced the lines topped off the fluid, tightened the TV cable just a
skosh tighter than normal (Justin suggested that) and it shifts real nice
now : )
Gonna flush with fresh fluid next.
Hans

Back