• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4, ruined?? (long post)

The only problem Im having with mine now is that it stalls out in reverse when im offroad. I think its some kind of sensor issue though.

Whenever I hear this I always think something is shorting out or causing an open circuit under torque.

Check your brackets that bolt to the engine block and see if you are missing any bolts. Check the condition of your engine mounts and the transmission mount. Check the CPS/CKP crank sensor harness--run your hand along it feeling for any burnt/brittle points. Check the crank sensor mounting bolts. Check the bellhousing to block bolts.

Whenever I hear this I always think something is shorting out or causing an open circuit under torque.

Check your brackets that bolt to the engine block and see if you are missing any bolts. Check the condition of your engine mounts and the transmission mount. Check the CPS/CKP crank sensor harness--run your hand along it feeling for any burnt/brittle points. Check the crank sensor mounting bolts. Check the bellhousing to block bolts.

Thanks man for the tips! Yeah Im positive its just some electronic issue or something minor because it drives 100% on the street. going to check all the mounts first... would you recommend a poly trans mount if that is the issue?

Hate to resurrect this old thread. I've got he same problem-Stalls in reverse. I am thinking that the transmission is loose and when it goes in reverse, it flexes and moves away from the CPS. There seems to be a few missing bolts and if I push up and down on the starter, there seems to be some movement (not a lot) between the engine and transmission. Should there be any movement?

My problem all started when my wife had the Jeep out and she said it wouldn't start. Turns out the starter was spinning in the breeze and hanging by only one bolt (bottom bolt). I put another bolt in and then noticed it would stall in reverse everytime. If I keep my foot on the gas, I can usually get it out of the driveway. I've got a space CPS to try but I'm wondering if I should be trying to get he trans bolted up tighter. It's the AW4 behind the 4.0 in an '87 RENIX.

THanks!

There should be absolutely no movement! Tighten those bolts and replace any missing ones. Two 3/8-16 threaded at the top of the bellhousing (these suck to get to) with E12 inverse torx heads, two 7/16-14 threaded down lower, one hiding behind the shift cable linkage on the driver side and the other near the starter. All should be fairly tight, not "bastard tight". Torque spec is 28 foot pounds.

Don't install the new CPS till you've squared this up - if you do, you risk destroying the new one as well.

Back